roosters with fighting injuries or fowl pox?

reddragon72

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2018
I have 3 young roosters in a large enclosure on the right side of a shed, all hens on the left side of a shed, and a mixture of pullets and cockrells behind the shed. all three enclosures are connected but closed off from one another. when the youngest set are on grown up food I plan on letting them all together. It should only be about 2 more weeks. The other day I noticed a few black spots on one of the roos. I only have a few hens in with these roos at the moment. I hatched them all at the same time. They seem to get along well, but I did notice the other day one roo ran the other away from the food and the other ran into their house to hide. I am rehoming a few of the cockrells this weekend and want to make sure that its not fowl pox. I'm in Alabama, and we have had warm weather for about a week, so I'm sure we have had some mosquitoes pop up, which I read carry and spread the disease. I looked online, and fowl pox and injuries look so similar to me. None of the other birds have it, including the hens in the same pen with them. That makes me think it is just injuries, but I want to be sure before I take the cockrells to their new home so I don't spread fowl pox.
b2 (1).jpg
b2 (2).jpg
b3.jpg
b2 (2).jpg
b2 (1).jpg
b2 (1).jpg
b2 (2).jpg
b3.jpg

Looks like fowl pox unfortunately. I went through that a couple of summer's ago with my flock. I live in Ga by the river and the mosquitos are horrible and hard to control. All of my birds made it through and are fine now. I have planted and hung lemon grass and citronella around my coop and run to help combat the dang bugs.

Im in north central Alabama. I killed a mosquito in my house last night... we have had some warm weather here for a week now. it was in the high 70's. But I think its just from fighting. they have been turds to each other lately. thanks!

You should know in time if it is pox. In your area you will probably see an outbreak sometime. Pox is a virus, and it lasts about 3 weeks, slowly spreading to other chickens in the coop. The thing to look out for is scabs around the eyes which can cause problems seeing food and water, and to look out for any lesions inside the beak which can make it very painful to eat. The type inside the beak and throat is called wet pox, and can be deadly. Most chickens recover from dry pox in a few weeks. Don’t touch the scabs because they are contagious, and the disease can spread to other cickens.

Back
Top Bottom