Gavrocks

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2017
I think this is supposed to not be a question, but I am wondering if I should get a Cinnamon Queen. If I should, Where? I already have the coop and the fence around it, feeders, a water dish, a place to lay, and four chickens!

Do you have appropriate space to increase your flock size? Are you interested in adding just one bird? Integrating a lone hen can be problematic, especially if space is insufficient or even borderline so. Are you wanting to start a chick or get a started or adult bird?

If you source from a non hatchery/ non retail source be very careful and ask specifically what cross is being used to produce the bird(s)..... many people mistakenly think they can bred a cinnamon queen roo and cinnamon queen hen to get cinnamon queen chicks and this is not true. Resulting chicks will NOT be sex linked.

If you source from a non hatchery/ non retail source be very careful and ask specifically what cross is being used to produce the bird(s)..... many people mistakenly think they can bred a cinnamon queen roo and cinnamon queen hen to get cinnamon queen chicks and this is not true. Resulting chicks will NOT be sex linked.
That's interesting. What happened when you breed them? What type of offspring do you get?

Birds that are not sex-linked, but no reason why their egg productivity should be affected significantly.

That's interesting. What happened when you breed them? What type of offspring do you get?
The main advantage of sex links (cinnamon queen is one of the proprietary names used for red sex links) is that they are 100% sexsble by sight at hatch based on down color. Mating sex link to sex link voids the genetic formula and you get chicks that are not sexable by color...ie males can be red. Production is not an issue but you good the main " selling point " and if you mistakenly believe they are linked you potentially buy or sell them as something they are not, pullets.

The main advantage of sex links (cinnamon queen is one of the proprietary names used for red sex links) is that they are 100% sexsble by sight at hatch based on down color. Mating sex link to sex link voids the genetic formula and you get chicks that are not sexable by color...ie males can be red. Production is not an issue but you good the main " selling point " and if you mistakenly believe they are linked you potentially buy or sell them as something they are not, pullets.
I see. Thanks. That's so interesting :)

I have a pullet. She was mistaken as a Buff and developed red feathers. Now she is fully feathered and I found out she is a Cinnamon Queen. She is not aggressive but one of my buff hens is aggressive toward her. She does lay eggs almost every day since she started laying a few weeks ago.

Going by my experience, if you are looking to add to your flock, you should look at getting a chick that the adults will accept and protect. But an older chick will not be very well welcomed. Only allowing them to free range in the back yard has allowed them to get along, but it is a long process. I still have to break up fights my buff starts. Currently my hens are welcoming to newly hatched chicks that have been with them every day since the hatch. The chicks will be seven weeks old this sunday and they are accepted by all the adults, including the Cinnamon Queen.

Back
Top Bottom