Should I let the chickens out in the rain???

How cold is it?
If they're wet and cold... not the best combination. Depends on what they are and their age. The only one of mine i'd let out in the rain just now is Fudge. She's fully grown so fairly water proof. The others are chicks. They'd go freezing.

So, depends on their age and breed.

Sorry for the dumb question.
I'm in Florida, It's 64 Degrees
My 6 girls are about one year, they are laying.
The rest are 4-5 months.
I heard them out there yelling....
I was worried about colds
I quess their feathers are water proof??
Maybe it is good for them to get a bath????

I live in Ireland, if my chickens didn't go out in the rain they would never go out
lol.png
Mine are wet for most of the year, its a miracle they don't have webbed feet!

I guess if it is very cold and there is no shelter then you could keep them in, but mine have free ranged from 9 weeks old outside. I leave the garage door open and their house open so they can choose to come in when they want.

JMO, but I know people think you should keep chicks under a lamp for months, and people have all sorts of stories of how they will up and die in a second if everything is not done just so, but mine are thrown out during the day from 6 weeks old and are in the big coop outside from 9 weeks - never lost a chick, never had a respiratory infection, never had coxi, just healthy happy chickens that seem to have good immune systems and lay plenty of eggs. (The temp here at the moment is 0'C during the day and -6'C at night.)

Let them out. They can get back in when they want to right? They will do what they need to do. Mine like to tromp around in the rain sometimes. I used to close their pop door at night. I dont anymore. I have their outside area closed of top, bottom and sides. They come and goes as they please.

My chickens can go out in the rain if they want to. If its a light rain, they will run around in it and scratch for worms etc. If it starts raining hard, they will find something to hide under. They are free to go in and out of their pen, which part of it is covered and part of it is not covered.

Yes, mine are let out in the rain. They have been kept outdoors since they were fully feathered, so they are used to the elements. In a downpour, they will seek shelter, but they don't mind a light sprinkle.

Mine are able to get in and out of their coop 24/7. They go out in the rain all the time (well, that is relative since I do live in So. California... but when it does rain, they go out in it).

Back
Top Bottom