Soft, bump fluid bruise on bill

Ortiz5954

Chirping
May 14, 2015
New ducklings bill is swollen on top.Ideas how to help it besides vet?

I would think some kind of cool compress, applied very gently might help. I am not an expert, wondering if that could be a big bruise . . . I would consider Epsom salt compress, but I don't really like that idea because E.s. is a laxative, and putting a compress on the bill, might get into the little one's mouth....

Maybe just a cool compress - cool water on a cotton ball - for a bit. ouch.

If possible I would consult a vet. I know it doesn't always work out.

It looks like the kind of blood blister you get when you slam your nail in a door. It may eventually absorb by itself. But you could use a very hot, sterilized needle to poke a hole and let some of the blood out.
Of course that may be too painful and stressful for a widdle duckling, just throwing it out there.
Do you have ANY idea what happened?

Last edited:
Okay bump got worse overnight so I sterilized a needle and drained it, rinsed with normal saline,hydrogen peroxide and applied ointnent.Here is the before and after pic.Hopefully I did it right.Also compressed it with warm cloth.

Thinking it just waddled out of coop into run,we were not expecting more to hatch and coop has a small deck so maybe it bumped it, or drake was mean to it.No more drakes in with lil ones it attacked its only sibling yet to hatch late lastnight.Fine all day with them until it came time for bed
1f613.png

Back
Top Bottom