Something very strange in the nesting box

Eva2020

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
Berkshire County, MA
So we were away this weekend and had a friend check on the chickens (4 hens) and give them food and water and collect the eggs. She only came saturday morning, but we just got home from being out of town for the weekend to find one normal egg from my easter egger and one very strange egg which I think is from my brahma.

My brahma has never been a good layer, laying a couple times a week at most. She hasn't laid consistently since October 2020, with a few eggs in December and maybe a couple since then. I never worried about it because she always seemed happy and healthy.

Is this weird egg something to worry about? Is it just her working out something in her system or is something really wrong? Can I do anything? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 36
Cut it open please.

This is caused by infection.
Is a vet an option for antibiotics?

This can mostly be prevented with weight management.
What exactly do you feed your flock?

I'll go do that now. I live in a city, so I'm not really sure but if a bird vet would take a chicken I'll look into it. She's definitely not skinny. I feed a layer feed from tractor supply to all my girls mixed with grit and oyster shells (I know you aren't supposed to mix in the oyster shells but my mom mixed them into all the food before I could say anything)

I'll go do that now. I live in a city, so I'm not really sure but if a bird vet would take a chicken I'll look into it. She's definitely not skinny. I feed a layer feed from tractor supply to all my girls mixed with grit and oyster shells (I know you aren't supposed to mix in the oyster shells but my mom mixed them into all the food before I could say anything)
Do you have the brand name of the feed by chance?
I was gonna motion the OS and grit, but, seems like you know that already. 😉 Just explain to her that she shouldn't do it next time, they will probably be alright for a bit.:)

View attachment 2635441
To upload an image, hit the image icon at the top of the screen. Then, hit the button that says click here. That will open up an option to select and image, and it should start to upload.
I hope that helps!
Yes I was able to do that for the first photo but when I try to do the one of it cracked open it says it ran into a problem, maybe the file is too big ill keep troubleshooting

Yes I was able to do that for the first photo but when I try to do the one of it cracked open it says it ran into a problem, maybe the file is too big ill keep troubleshooting
Oh. I've had that same issue before. If your on a phone, it should give you the option to upload the image in "large", "medium", "small", and "actual size". Hit small, and see if it uploads that time.

Back
Top Bottom