Stinking MUTT

kikescove.com

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Selah Washington
Well the 25-06 is still shooting straight. I was out in my chicken house and all of a sudden abunch of birds came rushing in. (Slighyly alarmed) then I stepped out and I see my dog peering intently at something from her pen. I go investigate and I look over the hill to see a black lab shredding Friendly, my daughters favorite chicken. I yelled and burst towards the house. Rose had been practicing shooting for her elk tag. I had two stray bullets left sitting on my dresser. I grabbed them and the 25 and ran out. I didn't hear anything then I heard a chicken squak and saw it run by, then another with the black lab right on its ass. I yelled and it broke off pursuit, the dog ran by me and then diverted to nail another one of my birds right in front of me. I shot the dog killing it with the first shot. I stuck another in it because I was ticked. This time no second chances. I had scared this dog home several times ( I was sure it was it). I jumped in my truck and went to the neighbors. I said I just killed a black lab, not sure if its yours. He looked, nope I have mine. I'm like ok. I told him I thought I'd let him know and told him the story. He said he'd have done the same thing. I went to the other neighbors house that just moved in and they weren't home. I got home, went in and consoled the girls who were both crying. I went to go gather dead birds and I heard them whistling for thier dog and calling. Rose came out and I told her they'd be down in about 5 minutes. As I was walking in the house I could hear her screaming for her dog. Sure enough here they came. He said are you sure you saw her killing a chicken? I said well there's whats left of the girls pet over there and the dog still has a chicken in her mouth. I purposely left it that way. We went to the dog and he looked, sure enough, about a 1/3 of a chicken still in her teeth. Do you want a sack? he picked it up like it was a family member. They weren't happy with me. Bare in mind I fenced my place so that no dogs or coyotes could enter, but she dug her way underneath. She says shes not a birder, that she captures quail all the time but gently lets them go. I'm thinking, hmmmmm tell that to friendly. Flame away. I'm in the mood

My daughter and friendly last week

lifriendly.jpg

You're daughter is beautiful.
My condolences on Friendly.

Good on you for getting the dog and letting the evidence wait for the owners.

BTW, the purple-spotted bird on your main website page is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Posts like this just make me sick. Im so sorry for your daughter, she's beautiful. I hope you can find her another bird to love.

Id do the same that you did. Im sorry you had to, tho.

So sorry. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant, but you got to do what you have to do. Maybe the neighbors will be more responsible if they get another dog.

Imp

I am so sad for you and your girls.
hugs.gif

kikescove.com :

he picked it up like it was a family member. They weren't happy with me.

If they really considered the dog family, they should have done more to keep it out of harm's way. As much as I love dogs, I have no sympathy for such irresponsible people.​

What a horrible shame. It may be little consolation but your daughter has that beautiful picture of her with Friendly, to remember her by.

You did what you had to do, and I'm glad you didn't miss. Wish you had taken photos of the deceased dog and the chicken in his mouth- as concrete evidence. But you had your hands full as it was.

Those goofball owners are going to swear their "poopsy" was just playing with the chickens, and will deny after seeing him caught red handed. Can you still file a police report?

Things like this make my blood boil - there are so many dumbos owning dogs, it should be against the law.

I'm glad you were able to get the dog. I had two come from a neighbors and take out 15 of my birds while I was at work. I did a stake-out for several days while I was off work but only got one shot and missed.(Anger and only shooting at an old dryer before had me shaking to my boots.) Had to wait for DH (truck driver) to get home and take the dogs out.

First off congrats for protecting your flock. Second excellent choice on the 25-06....nice to have handy.

I have, and will again handle the situation the same way.

I live in the 'burbs on only bout 1/4 acre, and the neighbors don't perticularly care for me....I guess I don't really fit there clicks...LOL... but I still manage to LEGALLY keep productive gardens, meat rabbits, and "pet" chickens (and house full of indoor critters)...and I keep them all WELL protected.....

I guess I got off to a bad start when I was in the garage "processing" after a VERY good deer season years back, with the door open. And the house wasn't even unpacked yet....LOL...wife's idea to buy right before hunting season.

So for the record, yes a determined pit bull can tear thru 1/2" hardware cloth, but with a well placed .357 he doesn't make it into run, and no birds lost. Dead dog, unhappy neighbor, police reports, and hard feeling.

But it stops being a loving pet, and becomes predator when it crosses my property line (which is entirely fenced and gated)

Sorry for you little girl, and that she had to witness all that. BUT YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.

TNT

isn't there a leash law in your area? and even if there isn't there is nothing they can do about you killing their dog. in fact... they have to pay for your chickens. you should call the law and make a report and have them pay for the chickens you lost. i know it doesn't help the fact that the dog killed your daughter's pet but least with the money you can get her another one to love. i am soo sorry for your loss and please let us know how the situation turns out.

Back
Top Bottom