Straight comb genetics in rose comb breeds

Stumpfarmer

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Added photos of parents and kids

My awesome broody Australorp hatched six Silver Spangled Hamburgs for me four weeks ago; I was thrilled then, and am now about half thrilled and half bummed. Four of the six are cockerels, which was so very not the point but worse than that: one cockerel and one of the two pullets have straight combs.

(Straight comb cockerel at left, straightcomb pullet to right of hen)

I have three hens, and very carefully chose equal numbers from each hen under the broody: nine eggs, of which eight hatched, one was trampled flat by its nestmates and another disappeared the first night. All of the hens have proper rosecombs as does the rooster. They're all properly marked (well, the rooster has smutty tailfeathers) with proper posture, nice tidy blue legs, and no visible differences. Except that one hen lays a slightly larger, more noticibly cream-ish colored, egg. My inclination is to exclude those eggs from the next hatch, and cross all fingers and toes that she is the odd girl out (a pity, because she's a lovely hen in both looks and personality, but so it goes). The hens were bought from a woman who got hatching eggs from a local breeder; the rooster is from My Pet Chicken via a BYC member.

(Photo from around the winter solstice when none of the hens were laying for about three weeks and their combs were dark and flat)

Does that sound like a proper approach? Does anyone know whether straight combs are a common fault in Hamburgs or it it's a sign that there was outbreeding in recent generations? What's remarkable to me is that the straight combs are very straight and quite Leghorn-ish (or Fayoumi-ish, which I suppose would explain the markings, posture, and leg color) instead of "mixed" in appearance. For some reason I expected comb shape to be a multiple allele situation rather than single gene dominant recessive, I guess because I'm surrounded by EE X RSL and AmeraucanaX (RSL, EE, BSL, Delaware, SLW) where there's a lot of variation and intergradation in comb type.

Last edited:
Rose comb is a single gene, and there is another gene that determines whether the surface is rough or smooth. Rose combed males who are pure for rose comb have lower fertility than rose combed males with only one copy of the gene. So getting birds with single combs would be expected.

Rose comb is a single gene, and there is another gene that determines whether the surface is rough or smooth.  Rose combed males who are pure for rose comb have lower fertility than rose combed males with only one copy of the gene.  So getting birds with single combs would be expected.

So, what, I should just expect that 33.3% of my chicks will be single comb, and cull appropriately? (In this case, cull means "move to laying flock" for the pullets; I suspect that single comb genes is not going to reduce the relentless efficiency with which Hamburgs lay).

There are a lot of things about breeding chickens for which a lifetime of cattle breeding has ill prepared me- the ways in which one assumes that characteristics which violate breed standards will occur in the breeding of standard-compliant individuals goes against all of my most ingrained assumptions.

Oh, well, guess I just need to loosen up, or something?

Last edited:
I expected comb shape to be a multiple allele situation rather than single gene dominant recessive, I guess because I'm surrounded by EE X RSL and AmeraucanaX (RSL, EE, BSL, Delaware, SLW) where there's a lot of variation and intergradation in comb type.

Rose comb is one of the few and odd genes that are totally dominant over single comb, most dominant genes are partially dominant, meaning you can tell if they are homozygous for it or heterozygous for that trait

I expected comb shape to be a multiple allele situation rather than single gene dominant recessive, I guess because I'm surrounded by EE X RSL and AmeraucanaX (RSL, EE, BSL, Delaware, SLW) where there's a lot of variation and intergradation in comb type.

Rose comb is one of the few and odd genes that are totally dominant over single comb, most dominant genes are partially dominant, meaning you can tell if they are homozygous for it or heterozygous for that trait

OK, got that. Another embarrassing question: what are the modifying factors which interfere with the formation of proper rose comb form in BLRWs, for instance? I have one rooster who has great body color but a comb more like a buttercup than a standard Wyandotte.

Rose comb is a single gene, and there is another gene that determines whether the surface is rough or smooth.  Rose combed males who are pure for rose comb have lower fertility than rose combed males with only one copy of the gene.  So getting birds with single combs would be expected.

There's obviously at least one hen carrying straight comb, too, or I wouldn't have any straight comb chicks though, right?

Which means I've got an even chance that my one (!) rosecomb pullet is carrying straight comb genes. Well, that's anything but encouraging.

You are correct- the female carries a single comb allele and a rose combed allele. If you cross two birds that carry a single comb allele, some will be like the parents, some will be single combed and some will be purebred for the rose comb ( they only carry rose comb alleles).

Tim

There's obviously at least one hen carrying straight comb, too, or I wouldn't have any straight comb chicks though, right?
Which means I've got an even chance that my one (!) rosecomb pullet is carrying straight comb genes. Well, that's anything but encouraging.

Last edited:
You are correct- the female carries a straight comb allele and a rose combed allele. If you cross two birds that carry a single comb allele, some will be like the parents, some will be single combed and some will be purebred for the rose comb ( they only carry rose comb alleles).

Tim

Yeah, that's pretty basic punnet-square genetics.

Back
Top Bottom