Swollen limping gurgling after being kicked

Woodrow#1

Hatching
May 18, 2018
Im looking for some help for my daughters danish brown leghorn, Spot..
She is suffering from bumblefoot, but wasnt showing any signs like limping, but she recieved a large kick to the stomach yesterday from a horrible person that is not welcome here any more.
Immediately she started limping and is very squishy and bulging around what normally would be her crop area.
I left her in the coop overnight, and checked her this morning, she seems to have strength, but is unsteady on her feet, and is gurgling when i check around the squishy swollen crop area.
She is about 5 years old.
My daughters recently lost another chicken to impacted crop, i dont think they could bear losing this one so soon after....
Thankyou.

I agree avian veterinary care would be best in this case. Is that an option? I would definitely bring her inside and offer a warm calm environment where you can monitor her and let her rest. Do you know exactly where she was kicked? I fear she may have sustained internal injuries. How is she doing now?

She is not eating.
Seems strong but limping heavily.
Runny poo, but she seems to do that ALL the time...
I dont know if the big squishy bit is all her crop, is it possible that some other organs can be pushed out??? Im no where near vet care, nor could i afford it if i was.
I think she may have been injured on the right side of her body under her leg, since she is limping like it is sprained or dislocated, but it seems to move all right when i move it.
When she was on her back her breathing was clicking, but that stopped. Im going to keep an eye on her, but i am steeling myself to euthanize her if it gets worse.
Enough to make this grown man cry...
Thankyou for your replies.

I gave her the most humane option.
Now i have to break the news to my daughters.
It is also a pity that spot wont be around to be the guard chook for our two remaining hens. Flappy and tiny are two pekin bantams, and spot kept them safe from predators.

Back
Top Bottom