Telling if Guineas are Male or Female???

Sugroxz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Pleasant Hope, Missouri
How in the world do you tell Males from Females? I've her Females only say "Buck Wheat" and Males don't.. Then I have heard it the other way around the males say "Buck Wheat" So I figured I would ask on here and see what everyone elses answers are.. LOL

The girls say "buckwheat". I don't have a guinea but I played one on TV.
tongue.png
(ok...maybe not but I have done my homework because I am planning to get some) Youtube has some good audio of guineas, you can hear the difference there.
smile.png

What if you never hear the "Buck Wheat" and are still getting eggs out it? And then some you only hear "Buck Wheat" out of and nothing else????????? I love my Guineas

Are you having some difficulty with the guineas, or are you simply trying to determine which birds are laying eggs?

If you can be more specific what the issue is, maybe we can be more helpful. Your first question was who makes what sound. That has been answered, but based on your last post, it sounds like there is another issues. Please clarify.
smile.png

I am tring to figure out how many males I have and how many females I have... I thought that I had way more males than I did females... I had an old man confuse me today and swear that the male said Buck Wheat.. and he was getting eggs out of the ones that did not say Buck Wheat! So I am just wanting to get things straight.. Make sense?? LOL

If this helps:

Only the females will say "buck wheat" (two syllables); and,
Only the females will lay eggs.

Slighter differences noticeable in my flock:

The males are slightly larger.
The males tend to stand more upright.
The males helmets and wattles are larger.

If you look at the first link I provided, you can view the differences between males and females in addition to listening to them.

Here is a link to a chart diagramming body parts. (I knew I was looking at a guinea hen, before I read the label "hen".) http://farmingfriends.com/parts-of-a-female-guinea-fowl/

Enjoy
your guineas!

The females have a 2-syllable call (buck-wheat, pot-rack, come-back or whatever it sounds like to you) and the males have a single-syllable call (cheat). The males' wattles should be larger though I have some who don't. The males' wattles also should stick out farther from their faces but again some of mine don't. The only 100% sure-fire way to know what sex the bird is is by the call.

Female: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705vg1IkF38

Male
:

Back
Top Bottom