The birb king's chickens

On friday I will have a picture of my
Button quail setup (I'm also gonna build them an aviary soon)
But for now here is a picture of
Bean

Attachments

• 20230505_150716.jpg
    20230505_150716.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 7
On friday I will have a picture of my
Button quail setup (I'm also gonna build them an aviary soon)
But for now here is a picture of
Bean
Aww....Bean is adorable! 💖 I love Quail. I kept Bobwhites for about 11 years. I've always thought about keeping Buttons but never have. Do you keep them inside or outside? I've heard they are more of a tropical bird that needs warmth of being inside?

Aww....Bean is adorable! 💖 I love Quail. I kept Bobwhites for about 11 years. I've always thought about keeping Buttons but never have. Do you keep them inside or outside? I've heard they are more of a tropical bird that needs warmth of being inside?
I wish I had a picture of bean as a baby she was the size of a grape. Buttons are the world's smallest quail, and yes they are not super cold hardy so since it gets cold here I bring them in the garage for the winter then they live in 1/3 of my serama coop for the rest of the year. That is why I will build an aviary soon because they do not vurrently have access to go outside. They are also a bit fragile though. Bean is about 5 or 6 weeks old and the adults are about a year and a half old. I had one of my older females die the other day and I'm not sure why. They can get egg bound, but mine always have calcium avaliable. It might have been old age but still seems a bit young to me :(

I wish I had a picture of bean as a baby she was the size of a grape. Buttons are the world's smallest quail, and yes they are not super cold hardy so since it gets cold here I bring them in the garage for the winter then they live in 1/3 of my serama coop for the rest of the year. That is why I will build an aviary soon because they do not vurrently have access to go outside. They are also a bit fragile though. Bean is about 5 or 6 weeks old and the adults are about a year and a half old. I had one of my older females die the other day and I'm not sure why. They can get egg bound, but mine always have calcium avaliable. It might have been old age but still seems a bit young to me :(
Oh gosh, Bean was tiny! Yes I've heard they are quite small and fragile. My Bobwhites were big brutes. :lol: But they were so much fun to keep. In a way, I like Quail better than I do chickens. I am so sorry you lost one of your older females. :hugs Always hard on the heart when they go. Some species of Quail only live a couple few years unfortunately. And yes egg binding is common in Quail, I know Coturnix are highly susceptible.

Oh gosh, Bean was tiny! Yes I've heard they are quite small and fragile. My Bobwhites were big brutes. :lol: But they were so much fun to keep. In a way, I like Quail better than I do chickens. I am so sorry you lost one of your older females. :hugs Always hard on the heart when they go. Some species of Quail only live a couple few years unfortunately. And yes egg binding is common in Quail, I know Coturnix are highly susceptible.
I would like to get coturnix top someday but I have nowhere to put them currently. Buttons usually only live 2-5 years, and they need lots of calcium since the eggs that they lay are pretty big for their body size

I would like to get coturnix top someday but I have nowhere to put them currently. Buttons usually only live 2-5 years, and they need lots of calcium since the eggs that they lay are pretty big for their body size
Yes I don't know how these tiny birds pass these big eggs. :hmm Coturnix are easy birds to keep, they can be kept in colonies as opposed to 1 male to 1 female. Smart little birds that mature up fast.

And yea sometimes I'm more interested in Quail and sometimes I'm more interested in chickens its pretty weird how that works. I think chickens will always be my #1, but I really enjoy having the button Quail they are pretty and fun to watch. Very hard to tame though!

And yea sometimes I'm more interested in Quail and sometimes I'm more interested in chickens its pretty weird how that works. I think chickens will always be my #1, but I really enjoy having the button Quail they are pretty and fun to watch. Very hard to tame though!
This was one of the things that fascinated me about my Bobwhites, they were a bit wild. Far from tame, I kept them in large aviaries and they went about their lives as if they lived in the wild. Their little micro world they lived like they were free. Fascinating to watch!

Back
Top Bottom