Pics
Bantam cochins can be persistent. I've seen some pretty beat up boys before they stop. Once things are settled it usually doesn't start up, but you never know.

I currently have a batch of young jakes fighting. It has been going on for 3 days now. If it continues we may have to start putting some in the freezer. Was hoping we could wait and see how they develop. Unfortunately once a turkey gets an idea in their little brains they don't let it go. Just a few weeks ago I thought they young ones were all females until one gobbled. Now there's at least 4, and maybe more.

Here are Axel, Dane and Bodie with a bonus pic of Iris and Phoebe. Why can't problems just stop for a month or two? Fly strike, wing torn almost off, rooster war, ack!
IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG

Oh, I forgot the very fine polyester embroidery thread I found wound around little Mina's toes on both feet a bit ago. No idea where she got it, maybe pulled it off my pants leg or something. I'm about to throw Axel in with big Brahma hen Bonnie Blue. Her wing is still healing, but at this point she's also a problem. She refuses to go outside, not even to dust bathe, sits in the corner of her pen and sulks. I see no infection, no idea why she's like that unless she's depressed. Maybe Axel can snap her out of it or she'll kill him for me, LOL.

That sounds like the perfect place for one the boys. I would definitely do that.
I did it. She is not happy and he is confused, but they'll live. He probably can't really hurt her healing wing and maybe he'll get her moving to go outside and take a dust bath. His left wattle is badly swollen and he almost lost an eye on that side from how close the wounds are and he needs to heal some before I risk him getting more hurt than he already is. Dane is so mild mannered just like Gunnar but he apparently got in a few good hits, either that or one of the adult roosters added some damage to his face. Axel was the instigator. I watched them today and when Dane tried to avoid him, Axel kept going after him. The older roosters were so over those two fighting from one side of the pen to the other, LOL.

Update on Scarlett. She was seeming better, keel has more muscle on it, but I found her dragging her feet again, checked and she seems bloated, darn it. Poor girl. Another hatchery girl on the way out, I guess.
Axel is living with Big Brahma Bonnie Blue while his face heals up. He got the worst of it though he started it.

Back
Top Bottom