Welcome to BYC! :welcome there are some really great people on this forum that are always ready to help with anything that comes up in your adventure so don't be afraid to ask!

Wow, you really don't do anything half way! I've got 7 grown runners, 6 fawn/white girls and 1 beautiful black boy and we just hatched out 11 babies in the past 2 days that are just gorgeous! Ducks are so fun and I love them so much.

You don't want to get too many drakes just so you know! They can make it very hard on your girls and the boys tend to fight during mating season.

Typically two water sources is better than one. That way if you have them separated them there is less chances of a duck not being able to drink due to bullying.
Awesome, and thanks you @Knighstar679! 2 troughs it is. Working on it now actually.
15592287110347861062598618904046.jpg

If you still want to do quail @Jpat is doing quail and can give you pointers.
Well...:welcome We are all duck lovers here so you can ask us anything.
Mahalo and welcome! Thanks for tagging @Jpat his name is one I already remember from reading here.

I can see why everybody here is a duck lover. These guys are not only resourceful, but this is some great entertainment.

Quails are great. Chicken of the basement:gig

Easiest birds to take care of
It's something I'm still considering after getting the ducks established. Would it be okay to do something like a quail Coop inside of a duck coop, or would I nedd 2 completely separated coops? Thanks for any help, and for stopping in.

Welcome to BYC! :welcome there are some really great people on this forum that are always ready to help with anything that comes up in your adventure so don't be afraid to ask!

Wow, you really don't do anything half way! I've got 7 grown runners, 6 fawn/white girls and 1 beautiful black boy and we just hatched out 11 babies in the past 2 days that are just gorgeous! Ducks are so fun and I love them so much.

You don't want to get too many drakes just so you know! They can make it very hard on your girls and the boys tend to fight during mating season.
Hi there DuckyDonna, and thanks for the warm welcome! Congrats on the new babies!

Hehe, I like the deep end of the pool. Great risk, great reward and all.

In the up coming order, thre are 2 drakes and 2 unsexed. Worst case scenario I'll end up with 6 males 13 females. If the two unsexed ancona are males, I was thinking about trying to trade them with a couple of local farms. I'd like to stay around a 1:4-5 mix.

This might be a silly question, but can multiple males live together without a female? I'm not against donating my 2 pekin drakes as pets if it comes to it.

Last edited:
Hi there DuckyDonna, and thanks for the warm welcome! Contrasts on the new babies!

Hehe, I like the deep end of the pool. Great risk, great reward and all.

In the up coming order, thre are 2 drakes and 2 unsexed. Worst case scenario I'll end up with 6 males 13 females. If the two unsexed ancona are males, I was thinking about trying to trade them with a couple of local farms. I'd like to stay around a 1:4-5 mix.

This might be a silly question, but can multiple males live together without a female? I'm not against donating my 2 pekin drakes as pets if it comes to it.
Yes, drakes can live together with no females, in fact, @thumper650 does that and has been successful. I think a better ratio for male to female is about 1:6 without problems but you might get lucky.

Yes, drakes can live together with no females, in fact, @thumper650 does that and has been successful. I think a better ratio for male to female is about 1:6 without problems but you might get lucky.
I will take that in to consideration. If I donate the 2 pekin drakes, worse case I'll have a 4:13 ratio. If the 2 unsexed ancona are ladies, I'll have 2:15 (and be extremely stoked). I'm not against only have a couple drakes, but the ancona got a bit pricey to get all of them sexed. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom