Curious because I have Muscovy ducks. What is wrong with Pekins?

There's nothing wrong with them :) They're just bigger ducks that eat a lot of feed and don't lay as well as some smaller breeds that eat less. They're better for meat, but I don't do meat ducks.

They are very calm and friendly, though, so they have that going for them. I just prefer to keep and breed endangered breeds. I end up with pekins because people buy them without researching duck care, get sick of them, and give them to me.

Curious because I have Muscovy ducks. What is wrong with Pekins?
In Australia they are considered great layers, mine outlayed my runner duck. And like everywhere they are meat birds with a meat bird appetite. They are a friendly duck, but they are also bullys to the rest of the flock when it comes to food. For me its the whole food thing that I no longer want mine. My muscovies weren't even this greedy with food and I use to call them my piggys. I'm going to seperate the pekin from the flock today and I bet my chickens are laying by the end of the month

I have Pekin runner crosses. Calmer than runners and bigger and egg laying machines. I like this cross.
Yes! They are good for crossing. Seems to make their tummys significantly smaller. I really want to hold out to cross one with my silver apple yards (the drake is a real propper gentleman) to see if I can improve their egg production but keep that big chunky duck size. I may just create a monster hungry duck though :oops: .

I have Pekin runner crosses. Calmer than runners and bigger and egg laying machines. I like this cross.
I have a White Layer, Buff Orpington, Runner Cross, Misty Duck and i suspect her to be the source of the daily dino-egg. She has developed an egg pouch that would make a 'roo-mom proud.

Back
Top Bottom