Well I don't think she's really sick, just too big for her legs and gets tired at the end of the day. I call it meat bird syndrome, don't know if that's an official name, but it happens to birds that were bred to grow big fast and be slaughter young. They get too big too fast for their legs. I've only had it in Perkins.
Oh ok lol! I know what you are talking about. I first heard about it with cornish chickens. Then I got these ducks and was reading up on them and noticed they said it happens to pekins too. Poor babies.

Gah I'm so in love and stressed out! Got the call at 6:45 that they were ready and I could hear them peeping in the background, sped right over and then had to wait until employees started showing up at 8 (even though I could hear people in the back and I was knocking and hollering...they may have thought I was crazy 🙃 )

I'm a tad worried about some of the ducklings, they seem a little too sleepy, but I'm sure they had a crazy ride to get here. Everyone has eaten, drank, and pooped though 👍

Oh! And I had to show my husband the invoice because Cackle threw in two extras and he was giving me the side-eye 😹 will be posting lots of videos and pictures later 🧡
Lol they threw in 2 for me too. They say just in case one some of them don't make it. Which I'm glad bc unfortunately I'm down to exactly 15 outta 17. Hopefully your little ducklings perk up soon! I was excited and stressed when I first got mine as well. One of them died 30 mins after I got them. Then one had splayed legs, which I was able to completely fix!! But it took mine a day or two to start acting like happy healthy chicks. You got this!

Lol they threw in 2 for me too. They say just in case one some of them don't make it. Which I'm glad bc unfortunately I'm down to exactly 15 outta 17. Hopefully your little ducklings perk up soon! I was excited and stressed when I first got mine as well. One of them died 30 mins after I got them. Then one had splayed legs, which I was able to completely fix!! But it took mine a day or two to start acting like happy healthy chicks. You got this!
How did you fix the legs?? I have 2 Muscovies and 7 newly hatched coming tomorrow. I'm so paranoid about their legs lol
My 10 week old Drake was a bit pigeon toed when I got him so I'm treating with niacin in the water and nutritional yeast in his food. As long as they don't get worse I'll consider it a win.

The Hookbills are starting to make their way into the world:

LBt6NEAqB4rQuvF0ZSwXfOZOCl1JhqrF5L5OQsSXfQipVVnyRBSVo5UMYmSVo_aay-UIWjRXbUUrCSqWEmYLVrEvQLh_oLnega_s64UkISxpfIbGo-dfwN0A9XvCkgKP1FAlJrsSzF8J8OAtoYe1S8iq-8e2qMz4hX8YRrC4TqXvzAqZ_C7ix7nBaL-zUUuuyy_JCQ9L4cgMxMJccifb2-Y_crxFkDwtHn3P6Z2-LOJpZi8qQTe_CeCb0gow6vGn44mrF_pbBiwBdbEwSanEeYtHejW-ETeCyrrECYD2GOMC04DYenamlOzr2OZF2o3idw-Fi9KRK1Cor091xZDDihXa83cM_HOZqG9JvS4bn2V2OP8KEfkAF3CyMrC6RndDlaQ5CY_rGjScOOuj6SL1HzXZ_HpM9J7h9JMUX2AnUMUnHcnHd6O1-1zozZ4j8T-dm8ZfwwT81wFcl1INWN6wg5tGAMQTedixbfrtqq4xbCUdhkOBnyDW5sA6Qk5ol6G8WFtB5b0BWKgW6X2wrn8lnK2kAKJDc3ifeqdeHz4BAbFoKFnbVv268_8bWpmCcm8KpOsvdz53v_HToBNx2VEgELqroBNiiO5XSs4N_g0E-tv7fDeBGGlTTsieUsyVvxsX79YT9aQ9WVUcA3M27Djyz-4JQzrPAk4NPWiyvIxUf9diGmMeH6G8oTijBY-UsZ0NGncsUG0QyeKK29j48G--7rdJ=w1250-h937-no

How did you fix the legs?? I have 2 Muscovies and 7 newly hatched coming tomorrow. I'm so paranoid about their legs lol
My 10 week old Drake was a bit pigeon toed when I got him so I'm treating with niacin in the water and nutritional yeast in his food. As long as they don't get worse I'll consider it a win.
I banded them with band aids at first and then decided to use that vet wrap/bandage wrap (the stuff that is usually brown or nude color and sticks to itself). You just wrap it around one leg and then wrap it around the other leg which forces them together, adjusting the length in between. I changed it every other day and left it on 24/7 for about a week and a half.

They say you get the best results doing it when they are 1-3 days old but mine was almost a week old before I found out it could be fixed. It worked like a charm though. It was one of 6 all white chicks that I have, now I don't even know which one it was!

Good morning folks :frow Good evening Wunda & Kiwi:frow

I banded them with band aids at first and then decided to use that vet wrap/bandage wrap (the stuff that is usually brown or nude color and sticks to itself). You just wrap it around one leg and then wrap it around the other leg which forces them together, adjusting the length in between. I changed it every other day and left it on 24/7 for about a week and a half.

They say you get the best results doing it when they are 1-3 days old but mine was almost a week old before I found out it could be fixed. It worked like a charm though. It was one of 6 all white chicks that I have, now I don't even know which one it was!
:frow Good morning Zen, have a great day

Back
Top Bottom