Today is quail day18 and waiting - more pictures Post#1

Buttercup Chillin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
SouthEast TX
Went out to the quail pen and was greated by an egg. This would have been the 14th from last night. They all lay afternoon and evenig. So adding the light is what they needed. I added the light a few days ago for 14 hours of light.

Today is day 15 and I meant to lockdown first thing this morning, but forgot and was making some Dill Pickled Eggs when neighbor called and asked me about lockdown. Went over to check the bator and saw a chick just hatched.

So, I took out the turner, put it back and hurried up to get the racks off and back in the bator. Then I looked and finally figured out it was from one of the 10 eggs I put in. (I marked 10 of my own eggs with an X). Its from my own eggs (smaller cause they were only laying for a week when I set this hatch).

So, hope it makes it, cause its a Manchurian Gold. Hoping for a male. Its a good size for a baby quail.

Oh for the person that forgot to mark the set date on the calendar. Last night the humidity dropped to 30 of a sudden and the temp tried to rise. So watch for that and I would say stop turning within 8 - 12 hours.

Off to get the Brooder tubs ready.

Edited to Update: All doing well, I turned temp down but they are ready except for 2 that are gone.
So far: My Eggs 3 M Gold, 4 Jumbo Brown, Breeder eggs 6 M Gold, 63 Jumbo Browns. 76 Total of 115 eggs set.
17 infertile, 9 golds and 13 J browns dead in egg at various stages. 85% Fertility Rate. 78% Viable Hatch Rate.

My Delima, was fine in morning and reincorperated into the batch. Survived being wet then dried out and Legs and Wing have healed.

Prehatch hatch pictures
17739_103_0003.jpg

17739_103_0002.jpg

17739_103_0001.jpg

My little one that started the early hatch
17739_103_0014.jpg

17739_103_0019.jpg

The hoard of baby quail this morning.
17739_103_0010.jpg

17739_103_0011.jpg

17739_103_0012.jpg

And about 30 minutes ago.
17739_103_0017.jpg

17739_103_0020.jpg

17739_103_0018.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, our camera is broke and we just get blurry pic's, DD dropped it when they visited last. DH bid on ebay and one is coming this week, or rather next week. Once their all hatched. if camera isn't here, I'll try borrowing neighbors cam again. Actually she's coming over to use my sewing machine tomorrow. Ok, I'll tell her she can use it but she has to bring her camera. She'll go for it.

I am excited that 3 of mine have hatched, they had only been laying for a week and I had room so added 10 average size eggs to the hatch. AND I have 2 more Manchurian Golds, now if theres a few whites, I'll be exstatic, I really will.

But I am having humidity problems. I think partly because its so humid here and partly because I add just to much water at lockdown, and partly because the plastic window is warped and I am taping it down. Oh well, they keep hatching, they are big little guys and strong, so hopefully there is no problems coming.

The 11 in th Brooder are doing fine, and I may put another 6 in with them before I head to bed, or not if they aren't dry. They should stop popping pretty soon for the night, they usually do stop at night or at least slow down.

No pictures yet, neighbor is probably still sleeping, went to a concert last night.

I was just looking at the eggs thinking, there had been no hatches since 7AM for sure. Then I saw from the corner of my left eye an egg wiggle. From the corner of my right eye I see a chick on top of the eggs, 3 eggs over, take a flying leap over 2 eggs to get to the rocking egg.

What is the opposite of cross eyed, that's what I was. Now I have splayed eyes.

That little chick can't be over 6 hours old and an early hatch at that. I removed the other chicks a half hour ago and there were only the last 2 in the bator that hatched and are still drying off. Well, looks like they are going to have company after all.

Hum is good, its the temp that I think is still reading lower than it is. Sent DH to store yesterday and he came back with 3 Thermometers and 2 were broken or had bad screens. I give up, I go through Thermometers like they are candy around here. My best one is to large for the bator so it stays with the brooders. I have 3 in there, though.

I am going to take what I get because that is more than I ever had before.

32. I'm keeping a running total in the first post.

Took 2 pics with neighbors camera, but hubby can't find them on the camera. Soon, I think. It's not really compatable with our set up.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

32!
ep.gif

You're so lucky! I only have 5 button quail in the brooder right now!
wee.gif

I prefer 5 quail in the brooder...I will be having over 100 in a couple days...I will get the camera ready. These will be button quail babies. I am working on color identification on the little boogers
smile.png

Button Quail tempt me so. I am so curious about them. But then what to do with them. My Queen Sheba (cat) is good about all the chicks that come and go in the house. But to live with them permanently, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom