Twisted neck duck found dead

Gymnast1238

Hatching
Aug 4, 2019
I have a girl duck and she was very healthy today and we went out side and she was found dead in laying box with twisted neck and no signs of sickness or injury and near in mind my other female duck was sick to but fine now

I have a girl duck and she was very healthy today and we went out side and she was found dead in laying box with twisted neck and no signs of sickness or injury and near in mind my other female duck was sick to but fine now
I'm sorry for your loss.

Sadly, usually the only way to know the cause of death is to have a necropsy performed. If you still have the body, send it to your state lab for more information.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Welcome to BYC. So sorry for your loss. Was she stiff when you found her? When a chicken or duck is dying, they may have some seizure-like movements as they go, and that may be perfectly normal. I have witnessed several of my chickens stumbling and twisting their necks as they go through the “throes of death,” when the brain loses oxygen. Wyorp Rock is right about getting a necropsy by your state vet to find out what might have killed her.

Last edited:
:welcome :frow It happens sometimes. I have found a dead bird in a nest box in the past though it's very rare with nothing evident as to why she died. Sometimes it is a mystery. They can have heart attacks and other abnormalities as with people and be fine one day and dead the next. An necropsy would have to be done to possibly find out the cause of death. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom