two questions! sex and color

friednotscrambled

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 25, 2019
A couple years ago I read (in multiple places) that when chicks are about 5 days old you can determine sex by wing structure... So, here are 6, 5 day old Wyandottes. I predict the first two are pullets (more developed flight feathers) and the last 4 are cockerels -- anyone have exp with this early sexing protocol?

And -- it looks like one is silver, perhaps? I ordered 6 red laced from cackle hatchery and one has stuck out like a sore thumb since I brought them home on Tues.

20230429_072100.jpg
20230429_072047.jpg
20230429_072033.jpg
20230429_072019.jpg
20230429_072014.jpg
20230429_072022.jpg

That wing sexing method is not entirely accurate, it's more of an old wives' tale. And, yes, the first one is the only Silver Wyandotte.
thank you on both counts! The wing differences are interesting. I plan to keep track on this group. Should be easy, since the silver 'looks' like a pullet, if one were to go by the wing ID method.

I have contacted Cackle. Even if they do nothing about it... how the heck did they get a silver mixed in with their reds? LOL

How many did you order, and how many did they send? When I ordered from there, I only ordered five but they sent six. So I could see them throwing in the bonus from the silvers if they didn't have enough gold's to fill the order. Or did you check the box to let them fill your order with something similar and still send it? I think they have an option like, cancel the order or substitute with something else in the order, or substitute with something similar.

thank you on both counts! The wing differences are interesting. I plan to keep track on this group. Should be easy, since the silver 'looks' like a pullet, if one were to go by the wing ID method.

I have contacted Cackle. Even if they do nothing about it... how the heck did they get a silver mixed in with their reds? LOL
You're welcome!

How many did you order, and how many did they send? When I ordered from there, I only ordered five but they sent six. So I could see them throwing in the bonus from the silvers if they didn't have enough gold's to fill the order. Or did you check the box to let them fill your order with something similar and still send it? I think they have an option like, cancel the order or substitute with something else in the order, or substitute with something similar.
I ordered this batch from a farm supply store in February. There were 6 chicks total delivered this past tues. Didn't see any fine print regarding substituting colors, but that makes sense to me. They are all nice and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom