Update! We have a feathered foot!!! Black Copper Maran, Black Sex Link? Aaargh!

What breed is this darn pullet?

• Black Copper Maran

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Black Sex Link

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Something Else (If so, please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MrsAuberry00

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Update 5/3/17, 7:00 p.m. EST
While catching my little Barred Rock, I had my eyes to the ground and noticed that Lady Sybil has black feathers starting to poke out on her right foot and leg! At first I thought they were someone else's fuzz stuck to her, but nope...they are actually protruding from the leg and foot!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Determining the breed of Lady Sybil has proven difficult for this newbie, and I've had one vote for BCM and one vote for BSL. The farmer we got her from told us she'd lay dark chocolate eggs, but she hasn't started laying yet so that's not so helpful in saying she's a BCM. Can anyone help me out or give me specific markings to look for? I have one BSL and while she has the red on her neck and a bit on her breast, Lady Sybil has it all over her head, chest, and into her wings. Is there another angle I should take pictures from to help all you eggsperts give me a more definitive idea on her breed?

Added: I used the search to look up BCM and found a thread devoted to them, but it's been difficult weeding through 1300+ posts. This is just frustrating! I will never again buy pullets from someone who can't tell me definitely what breed we're buying!

Last edited:
What is it's comb type? You may just have to wait until she lays.

BSL and BCM both would likely have single combs.
hmm.png

I think she's probably a BSL.

I agree that her comb doesn't look totally right for a single comb, but it may be the camera angle or the light (or my failing eyesight
roll.png
)

Shape wise, she looks more like a BSL than a Marans but she is still young so that could change or just be poor blood stock. In the first photo, the skin between the toes looks very white/pink, which would suggest Marans in my experience, so I'm very undecided. Most of the Maran's in the USA are the feather legged French variety and she looks to be clean legged, so that's unusual if she is a Marans. I'm going to hedge my bets and say there is a good chance that she is a mixed breed bird which means she could still be a BSL of course or an EE if that is a pea comb or possibly a Marans cross.

Do you know if the farmer bred her himself of buys in chicks from a hatchery and raises them to sell? If he breeds, did you see his chickens and were they all in separate pens or running as a large flock together? If the latter then it's more likely she is a mixed breed.

Edited to add.....

Can you post a close up photo of her comb so that we can confirm it's type?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom