Vertical Nipples keep freezing

Stedman

Chirping
Jul 9, 2016
Massachusetts
i have a five gallon bucket hanging with the nipples on the bottom and a heater inside. The water in the bucket doesn’t freeze but the nipples do. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this. TIA

They freeze because the seal is external to the bucket. That little bit of water that isn't heated will allow them to freeze.
Horizontal nipples won't freeze till much lower temperatures because the seal is internal to the water reservoir so the seal stays heated.

I got this heated waterer and we are in single digits..no ice!!
Screenshot_20171215-095744.png

Horizontal nipples from amazon, 11/32 drill bit, bucket and lid, use the heater you have and make a new waterer. Vertical nipples will freeze, horizontal won't, plus you can sit the bucket on a cinder block or two, instead of hanging your water.

Unfortunately, heat rises, so anything under the heat source is SOL.

I have Igloo insulated 5 gallon water jugs with Bright-tap vertical nipple systems. https://www.chickenwaterer.com/BriteTap-Chicken-Poultry-Waterer-p/bt100.htm

I insulate the jugs with an insulation blanket and I wrap small 9 inch heating pads around the Bright-taps. That's the only heat, and so far, the water stays liquid down to 0 degrees.

I also suggest using horizontal nipples. Last winter was cold. Got down to -22 F. The tote with horizontal nipples and a stock tank dicer that is okay too use in plastic stayed thawed.

They freeze because the seal is external to the bucket. That little bit of water that isn't heated will allow them to freeze.
Horizontal nipples won't freeze till much lower temperatures because the seal is internal to the water reservoir so the seal stays heated.
This^^^

Unfortunately, heat rises, so anything under the heat source is SOL.

I have Igloo insulated 5 gallon water jugs with Bright-tap vertical nipple systems. https://www.chickenwaterer.com/BriteTap-Chicken-Poultry-Waterer-p/bt100.htm

I insulate the jugs with an insulation blanket and I wrap small 9 inch heating pads around the Bright-taps. That's the only heat, and so far, the water stays liquid down to 0 degrees.

I have a 10 gallon igloo with bright taps, I bought the cover for the bright tap to keep it from getting light so it does not grow algie, it said that the covers will not keep it from freezing though. Any clue how cold this setup can get without any heat before freezing is an issue? It gets in the 20's here sometimes, usually not much below freezing though. I also have a 2.5 gallon and a 5 gallon hanging metal waterers I keep all 3 topped off all the time, I figure if one fails and I am gone the weekend, or week they will be ok.

Gary

Gary, when the temps are merely in the 20s here, I don't even turn on the little heating pads I have wrapped around my Bright-taps. Keeping your water containers full discourages them from freezing.

Some folks wrap electric heat tape around their Bright-taps, but I found that to be impractical for me. I got the cheap, $9 heating pad at Walmart. Does the job better for less cost and hassle.

Back
Top Bottom