They are cedar shavings! I’ll switch them out for pine but she was doing this before when she was only on shelf liner the first

thanks! It could be the cedar shavings are making it worse but he/she did this with hen it was only paper towels and shelf liner in the enclosure as well. They do have access to both water and electrolyte/vitamin water throughout the day but it probably is something neurological. It almost reminds me of my son’s seizures. Super odd and we had a really difficult hatch with lots of babies not making it past a few hours old. I’m wondering if maybe the genetic pool isn’t that great
Where did you get the eggs from? If from a reputable breeder I would not expect to see genetical issues. I think it's possibly Aspergillosis, now.

Where did you get the eggs from? If from a reputable breeder I would not expect to see genetical issues. I think it's possibly Aspergillosis, now.
I got the eggs from Rising Phoenix Farms. Out of 72 eggs only 30 hatched. Of the 30 that hatched 11 had severe wry neck that prevented them from eating or drinking and they all died. Four dropped dead randomly. I mean like totally randomly. They were eating and drinking and playing and then a couple hours later they were dead

I got the eggs from Rising Phoenix Farms. Out of 72 eggs only 30 hatched. Of the 30 that hatched 11 had severe wry neck that prevented them from eating or drinking and they all died. Four dropped dead randomly. I mean like totally randomly. They were eating and drinking and playing and then a couple hours later they were dead
The eggs are supposed to all hatch blue laying hens which when I ordered them I had not educated myself well yet and did not realize was a recessive gene rather than a breed variation. The seller claims 100% blue laying

The eggs are supposed to all hatch blue laying hens which when I ordered them I had not educated myself well yet and did not realize was a recessive gene rather than a breed variation. The seller claims 100% blue laying
That might be the problem. Celadons are rather fragile to begin with. My celadons produced about 80% celadon layers. The birds were healthy, but the eggs can still be fragile.

Wow that is really rough. Did you contact them to complain and let them know about the high rate of wry neck? I just hatched eggs and out of 36 only 20 hatched and 3 died after hatching. I was annoyed and I only spent $30 on those eggs. I am sorry you have had to go through suck a rough batch as loosing so many babies is hard.

Wow that is really rough. Did you contact them to complain and let them know about the high rate of wry neck? I just hatched eggs and out of 36 only 20 hatched and 3 died after hatching. I was annoyed and I only spent $30 on those eggs. I am sorry you have had to go through suck a rough batch as loosing so many babies is hard.
Yeah it has been really hard emotionally. I tried so hard to keep the babies that were struggling alive but losing half of the ones that hatched after only hatching half the eggs to begin with has been hard. But I also know it’s a learning curve and I’m new to this.

Sounds like a nutritional deficiency of the parent stock. I don't know a thing about Rising Phoenix Farms but if your hatch is anywhere indicative of the quality of their birds, I would not order from them again, nor recommend to anyone!

The parent stock obviously had a deficiency in Vitamin B and Selenium along with deficiencies in Methonine and Lysine + cystine.

Sounds like a nutritional deficiency of the parent stock. I don't know a thing about Rising Phoenix Farms but if your hatch is anywhere indicative of the quality of their birds, I would not order from them again, nor recommend to anyone!

The parent stock obviously had a deficiency in Vitamin B and Selenium along with deficiencies in Methonine and Lysine + cystine.
I completely agree with you I don’t plan to reorder from them nor recommend them. This was my first time ordering eggs or hatching them and I’ll admit I didn’t do enough research and just chose one of the first sellers that came up when I searched online

I hatched these babies 6 days ago and since they hatched one of the chicks has been randomly making this weird motion. It stands there and closes its eyes and throws its head back. It opens its mouth like it’s chirping but no sounds come out. It does that for a while and then stops shakes and runs off and acts normal. It’s the same size as the other chicks and eats and drinks fine but it’s also the only chick with this behavior. Like I said it’s done it since hatch I’m just curious if I should be concerned.
I just noticed that he/she has a slightly misaligned. Could that be the issue? Maybe they’re uncomfortable

Back
Top Bottom