What age is best when introducing hand reared chicks to older flock.

So you do have more chickens than just the 8 week old pullet, the rooster and the four chicks??
Yes. I have 4 hens (Isa Browns), 1 hen ( Frizzle x Isa Brown) and she is a white hen, and another Rooster who is the father of the other 2 rooster and white hen. My flock is small but growing.

I'm confused. You have an 8-week old "hen", four 4-week old chicks, and an 18-month old rooster? Something's not right. How old is that hen? At 8 weeks, it's just a chick. Help!
Sorry i missed your question. Also sorry for confusion. I have one 8 week old hen that is from my first incubation. I have four 4 week old chicks from my 2nd incubation.
Yes i know my 8 week old is just a chick and i wasn't intending to put her with the rooster at this age. I was just inquiring as to when, where and what as i am fairly new to breeding and trying not to get it wrong as to times and ages.

Oh okay I understand now!🤪
I have anothef problem that you might be able to help me with. One of my chicks has a problem with his foot. It is turning in. It was fine when hatched but as it is growing it's foot seems to be turning in.. Any ideas?

I have anothef problem that you might be able to help me with. One of my chicks has a problem with his foot. It is turning in. It was fine when hatched but as it is growing it's foot seems to be turning in.. Any ideas?
It is walking, eating and drinking ok.

Another approach is to put your birds together when they are younger. Even as young as 4 weeks , if it is warm enough. The younger the birds the less the older birds perceive them as a threat. When integrating birds that are smaller sometimes it is possible to put a place with food and water that only the smaller birds can get to. Also it is very rare for a roo to hurt a chick. Most roosters will not try to breed a pullet that is not sexually mature.

Pictures?😉 I haven’t dealt with this personally but others might be able to help.

Another approach is to put your birds together when they are younger. Even as young as 4 weeks , if it is warm enough. The younger the birds the less the older birds perceive them as a threat. When integrating birds that are smaller sometimes it is possible to put a place with food and water that only the smaller birds can get to. Also it is very rare for a roo to hurt a chick. Most roosters will not try to breed a pullet that is not sexually mature.
Thank you

Sorry, I don't 100% agree with this. In my experience, cockerels and roosters are impatient for pullets to reach sexual maturity and often do not wait. When I had a mixed flock all the same age, it was horrible. The cockerels at about four months became so demanding that I had to separate them into a bachelor pen. The little pullets were running from them screaming during the day, and in the evening they were terrified to go into the coop, as the cockerels would go inside first and wait to jump on them as they came in. They were like muggers, to put it mildly. They all ended up in the freezer to give the girls some relief. The pullets did not start laying for about another two months.

Back
Top Bottom