What Animals can Live With Quail?

quailheart

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
Saint Louis, MO
Hello! I was wondering, does anyone keep quail with any other bird or animal? Is it possible to do so without them spreading diseases among each other? This is kind of a random question! I bet most people won’t keep quail with other animals I was just curious! Thanks!

Where I volunteer we have a male golden pheasant with 3 quail! The pheasant was mostly likely a escaped or released pet/breeding animal since he was found in the middle of a forest very skinny. We dont have any female pheasents but he gets along great with the quail and they pick around the straw together at feeding time.

I dont know if its the best situation for both species but its been working for 4-5 months now with no issues.

Hello! I was wondering, does anyone keep quail with any other bird or animal? Is it possible to do so without them spreading diseases among each other? This is kind of a random question! I bet most people won’t keep quail with other animals I was just curious! Thanks!
Be careful with quail though, we had a pair for a while and someone took their eggs one day and the male tried to kill the female. We managed to fix the situation but a few weeks ago I noticed the female is gone and the male is doing the same cry he did when he attacked her the one time and they were separated. Me, My mom, and the other volunteers we are friends with dont know what happened but its likely he male killed the female and the guy who takes care of stuff on closed days disposed of the body and didnt tell anyone im close enough with to ask

Be careful with quail though, we had a pair for a while and someone took their eggs one day and the male tried to kill the female. We managed to fix the situation but a few weeks ago I noticed the female is gone and the male is doing the same cry he did when he attacked her the one time and they were separated. Me, My mom, and the other volunteers we are friends with dont know what happened but its likely he male killed the female and the guy who takes care of stuff on closed days disposed of the body and didnt tell anyone im close enough with to ask
Its a shame oof, she was very shy but very very cute.

Like other posters have said, I’ve seen both Coturnix and Bobwhite maintained in aviaries with some of the calmer pheasants like goldens and flying birds like small parrots and finches, maybe doves. Apparently button quail and coturnix have value in aviaries as seed vacuums, eating all the seed that the other birds spill. Providing a huge amount of space for separate species to get away from each other is definitely necessary, and always assume they are vulnerable to disease + parasites, it’s definitely always a risk.

They probably do not do well with mammals, since many pet mammals can be aggressive towards birds. Maybe you could keep a tortoise with quail, but I think it might stress both of them out. I’ve heard of bantam chickens raising quail chicks, but I worry that adult quail would be at risk of attack by even the smallest bantam chickens.

In my quail pen, I keep a big slate above some mulch. In the summer, wood lice, crickets, and caterpillars enter to coop to eat detritus, and take refuge under the slate. In the morning, I lift up the slate, and let the quail feast!

Where I volunteer we have a male golden pheasant with 3 quail! The pheasant was mostly likely a escaped or released pet/breeding animal since he was found in the middle of a forest very skinny. We dont have any female pheasents but he gets along great with the quail and they pick around the straw together at feeding time.

I dont know if its the best situation for both species but its been working for 4-5 months now with no issues.
it only presents an issue during (mainly the first) breeding season because the pheasant doesn’t understand that he’s not a quail.

I've heard of quails and budgies living together
that can sometimes present a problem.....i had to remove all quail from my budgie aviary due to aggressive behaviors (my budgies have killed buttons, diamond dove, and finches) they have also harassed young coturnix

Back
Top Bottom