When do baby chicks lose feathers?

It happens at a fairly predictable pace. They get wing tips the first couple days and by 2 weeks, they can fly a bit. At 3 weeks, most are getting feathers on the chest. At 5-6 weeks, they should be mostly covered but you'll still see bits of down poking out on the head. Then they start the process of molting the baby feathers they just grew and getting bigger feathers!

It happens at a fairly predictable pace. They get wing tips the first couple days and by 2 weeks, they can fly a bit. At 3 weeks, most are getting feathers on the chest. At 5-6 weeks, they should be mostly covered but you'll still see bits of down poking out on the head. Then they start the process of molting the baby feathers they just grew and getting bigger feathers!
Thanks this helped like alot ! Cause I think they're molting they fly & when they fluff their feathers some fuzz Flys off now I know it's normal :) :love

Thanks for your answer. My 8-11 weeks old chicks are loosing feathers and I’ve been looking for info on if this was normal. I’m new to this forum.

Ours are only 1 week old & they all a almost bald! Have wing feathers. We don’t understand??

Back
Top Bottom