When will they start laying regularly again?

Mhcanupp

Chirping
May 12, 2022
My 6 hens are 2 years old. They used to lay every day, without fail. This past fall was the first year they basically stopped. I'm in North Carolina, and it's April, so it's warm and obviously we've had more daylight hours for quite sometime now. But they are still barely laying. My 2 EEs lay almost daily. I also have 2 RIRs who I never see laying anymore, and 2 BOs that lay roughly every other day.
What the heck could be going on? Or should I just be more patient?
Also, these ladies have been together since they hatched, so they've grown up together.

Some hens finish the molt and return to laying faster than others. So it could be you need patience. They may be hiding a nest on you. That does not call for patience.

My suggestion is to try the vent check. A hen that is laying or real close to laying will have a large moist pink vent. If she is not laying, her vent will be small and tight. You might look at one of the laying hen's vent so you know what a soft moist vent looks like, then check your RIR's. I'd take them off of the roost at night so they are easier to catch.

My 6 hens are 2 years old. They used to lay every day, without fail. This past fall was the first year they basically stopped. I'm in North Carolina, and it's April, so it's warm and obviously we've had more daylight hours for quite sometime now. But they are still barely laying. My 2 EEs lay almost daily. I also have 2 RIRs who I never see laying anymore, and 2 BOs that lay roughly every other day.
What the heck could be going on? Or should I just be more patient?
Also, these ladies have been together since they hatched, so they've grown up together.
Could be a few different things. Have they molted? Sometimes they could just be on break. A way i tell they are on break, or just freeloading is their comb. Bright red they are laying, pale comb means shes being a freeloader for now.

Back
Top Bottom