Where to buy started pullets?

DianeS

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Oregon
Good evening everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew any places for me to look for started pullets to buy (Rhode Island Reds, specifically). I've checked the hatcheries that are advertised on BYC, but it looks like only two have anything other than day-old chicks available, and of those two neither has RIR.

I've been checking craigslist and similar places for weeks now, with no success.

I'd just like to skip the chick-raising stage, even though I know 16-20 week old pullets will cost much more. Any suggestions of where to look would be appreciated!

DianeS

stop in and ask some one who is selling eggs some times if your hens go broody you get more chicks then you want. being breed specific may cause more problems. and make sure you get young ones as you don't want to end up with ones that are almost done laying

In our area Southern States sells started pullets for $7 each I believe. But that's only for a limited time in the Spring. As stated above, I would also check Craigslist, someone is often trying to unload extra chickens; you just may need to be deligent about checking the listing everyday. Good luck.

McMurray sells "Red" started pullets. They are 17 weeks old and beaks have been trimmed. They may be a cross with a RIR.

I would have to chime in about craigs list - I have found (and bought) older pullets there for $7. And our local feed store has them as well (although I was not impressed in the shape of them - looked a little mangy.)
sad.png
There are poultry shows around the country as well where people buy and sell chickens.

We found ours on Craigslist. If that's not working for you, check out a local farmers market and see if any of the egg sellers have extra pullets to sell.

Although... if you want advice from someone who's done it this way, I'd advise getting chicks. I realize they're more work, but they'll become pets as you raise them. Our started pullets are easily spooked and not interested in spending time with us. So we get eggs, but not the friendly chicken encounters we expected.

Post on the wanted board here too. People have them and are selling them now. I have some but I'm not close to you...15.00 each for mine they are at POL too expensive to ship I think from the hatcheries Meyer has them sometimes too

Depends on where you live. Here in Dallas there are several local poultry forums that are a great place to find local poultry enthusiasts and backyard breeders. Check to see if there's a Yahoo group for poultry in your area, for example.

Go on the "Where am I? Where are you?" thread here - post in the Colorado section. See if anyone close to you wants to sell POL pullets. That's how I got mine. I paid $6 per pullet - got 6 from the same gal. Very happy with the pullets. The gal who sold them to me has been invaluable as a resource. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom