Wiggling duck eggs

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
I have 8 duck eggs (started with 10) in an incubator with an automatic turner. I've now noticed 5 different eggs wiggling off and on throughout the day - I first noticed it yesterday. Today will be day 22 or 23 in a few hours - my incubator counts down and will say 5 days left. I assume all this is normal and I don't need to change anything? The automatic turning plate thing is still in there, and I know I have to remove that right before lockdown. I assume its okay until I'm down to 3 days left?

What kind off ducks? My Call ducks hatch in 26 days. Muscovy eggs take 33 to 35 days. The idea that duck eggs take 28 days is not always accurate. I'd suggest you candle a "moving" egg and if it has internally pipped, remove the automatic turner now.

What kind off ducks? My Call ducks hatch in 26 days. Muscovy eggs take 33 to 35 days. The idea that duck eggs take 28 days is not always accurate. I'd suggest you candle a "moving" egg and if it has internally pipped, remove the automatic turner now.
They are eggs from my ducks - mixes.
Laying ladies:
Blue runner
Fawn/White runner
Blue swedish
Mallard
White Crested
White layer/Pekin

Drakes:
Mallard
Magpie
Fawn/White Runner

With no internal pipping, hatch is not close so leave the automatic turner in for now. All the breeds you listed are/were derived from mallard ancestors so have a 28 day incubation. But so are Call ducks with the 26 day.
Consider candling a couple eggs daily to check for internal pipping; candling does not hurt the eggs in any way. Just make sure your hands are clean.
Be aware that it is not all that uncommon for eggs in an incubator to hatch a bit early or a bit late. Good Luck!

With no internal pipping, hatch is not close so leave the automatic turner in for now. All the breeds you listed are/were derived from mallard ancestors so have a 28 day incubation. But so are Call ducks with the 26 day.
Consider candling a couple eggs daily to check for internal pipping; candling does not hurt the eggs in any way. Just make sure your hands are clean.
Be aware that it is not all that uncommon for eggs in an incubator to hatch a bit early or a bit late. Good Luck!
Thank you so much. I was planning on leaving everything the way it was, but the wiggling through me for a loop.

I hatch ducklings every spring and each batch is always a little different for when they start to wiggle, chirp, internal and external pip etc. I've had them start wiggling as early as day 22 and I've had batches that never wiggled at all, but still hatched just fine. I remove the turner the same day every hatch regardless and let them do their thing.

Back
Top Bottom