my chicks from Murray McMurray got here with bad news...

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
My order from MMH got here at about 7am on monday. I opened the box in the car and about 6 were already dead some dying. No even 12 hours later 13 have died and its not looking so good for a couple others . so we have about 31 now, most are looking strong but there are still a couple that look ify. I put sugar in their water and they are drinking and the temp is at 95*. I called MMH and they said to call back Wednesday for the total death number and they would send me another order or store credit. I already ordered 50 more(I got 11 extra, for warmth) and they are coming the 3rd. I hope they make it here okay so I guess I'm gonna have to take the store credit because they said for me to get the exact same order it would have to wait until april because they don't have a lot of the females of the breeds I wanted. So I just went ahead and ordered more, I'll let you know how they do and pictures of the chicks are on there way
big_smile.png

It's only been a little over 24 hours and so far 20 have died...

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I am going to cancle my next order with them and wait until it's a little warmer out, hopefully these ones will make it.

I also got an order from McMurray sent to me this past weekend, I live just south of Portland, OR.
I knew the weather shouldn't be a problem at my end.
I had talked to PO the week before, left them a note saying I was expecting Chicks Monday AM and to call no matter what the hour. They told me they get 2 shipments in the morning, one between 1-2am and another around 4am. The PO called me Monday AM at 4:30.
All my chicks made it here alive. I did loose 2 small chicks
1 (of my only 2) Black Stars and 1 of my BLRW (and they had sent me 1 extra BLRW so I'm even there). They just never picked up like everyone else did throughout Monday and they were 2 of the smallest in of all my chicks it is possible they just didn't thrive? not sure. Lost the first one after 6 hours and the 2nd after 12 hours. I have not lost any since and everyone seems to be doing very well, I have had them home now about 30 hours.
I'm sorry for your losses, I'm thinking with the extra day of travel and the cold it was a rough trip for them.
To be honest, I'm amazed at how well the chicks are doing. I don't know what I expected after about 36 hours of travel? but they sure seem to be a sturdy lot (minus the 2 I lost)
I am sorry for your chick loss, I Hope you have better luck on your next order.
Catherine

i am not going to order from mcmurray again. two weeks after they get here and they are still getting sick!
sad.png

Last edited:
didnt I post in here before or was i dreaming?

I am so sorry you lost your babies and hope your next set is fine. please change your order to the middle or end of march

Quote:
What are yours dying from? I think I am going to lose some now too. I had 115, and I will be happy if I can keep 110 alive. Some seem to not be growing like the others. And it is breed specific. Struggling with the Cuckoos(10 out of 12), Partidge Cochins(5 out of 8) and Buff Rocks (4 out of 8). A few of the EEs are weak too but I think they will pull through. I brought about 20 in the house. I called McMurray to ask if they had any concerns, and they basically said it was my problem after 12 days. I have never lost chicks like I think I am going to here. Normally, if I lose one of two, that is about it and I have raised hundreds if not thousands of chicks. I had them vaccinated and I wonder if that was the problem. I know if wasn't the shipping because I picked them up and they are in a room that stays 65 degrees and under 4 heat lamps. It just seems strange that only 4 of the 11 breeds that I ordered are sick...If anyone has suggestions, they act weak, like they can't stand. No blood in stool, just weak. And they aren't dying fast. It is like it is dragging out. The first one showed signs on Saturday and it is still alive-barely.

with mine, they quit growing then start sleeping more. then they cant walk but they dont die? they lay there and eat and drink normally...

Last edited:
That's EXACTLY what is going on with ours. They seemed really healthy to begin with. What the _ell? It's like they quit eating, are smaller than the others, and then get really wobbly until they can't stand. I can't believe this is happening. I have NEVER had anything like it. What breeds did you get? Is it specific breeds affected? Did you get yours vaccinated? I think I am going to wait a couple weeks and then try Ideal too. I am really bummed, actually...

Back
Top Bottom