my chicks from Murray McMurray got here with bad news...

Quote:
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea, the different hatcheries have zones on where they can ship their chicks and when during the season. The only problem with that is the people who want their birds for show, or 4-H, they sometimes have to be a certain age, so that would be one of the downfalls.

-Sophia

Last edited:
Any idea of what's happening? I have chicks here from MM, too... We lost a total of 9 (out of 33) and I have 5 that have the weak-leg thing happening now
he.gif
They are eating and drinking, but they just lay there. Three are blue laced red wyandottes, one is a speckled sussex, and one is an araucana...

Last edited:
Folks im sorry you are losing chicks but it is still Febuary,awfull cold for the little fellers,plus this winter just seems to want to hang on for ever,all it takes is for them to get a good chill and its over for them,I suggest you order chicks later in the spring when its not so cold,and then from the closet hatchery or breeder you can find,

I hope things start to look up for all of you

And again, someone posted that you can cancel your order as late as Friday for weekend shipping. Watch your weather! If its going to be really cold, delay the shipment. Its entirely possible that some breeds are more susceptible to chills than others, and it certainly doesnt take much cold to chill a day old chick. I know its really easy to blame the hatchery, but they're arent the ones determining your shipping date. Its you.

I have always ordered from MM and never had any problems with my chicks. I never order my spring chicks to ship before late April or May.

Please do not placed all the blame at their door. It is February. It is winter. Once a chick gets chilled it is very hard for it to recover. Heat stress in the dead of summer has some of the same outcomes. When ordering chicks it is also your responsibility to check the weather, try to gauge fairly warm window of shipment. To order in the dead of winter is just asking for an less than positive outcome.

Have to disagree that it is the weather. I have been doing the same thing for over 15 years. Same set up, same temps, same time of year.

I understand about the weather and that the chicks will get chilled but I have perfectly fine chicks that look normal are running around eating, drinking, healthy, I wake up in the morning and their dead. That is what doesn't make sense to me. I had another 5 dead this morning and they were fine last night, they were running around, drinking, ect. Then they're dead...just doesn't make sense.

-Sophia

I called MMH just now to give them the total count and she extended my warranty to Friday incase I loose anymore, because I am still loosing some today. She said since so many have died that I should put terramyacin in their water, 2 teaspoons for every gallon. So I guess I'll have to run to the feed store and buy some, hopefully it'll work. Wish us luck
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom