⭐ Kiki's Year Long 🌶️

Last year it got down below 0°F here and killed my main Orp rooster “Juicy” as well as all of my Swallowtail butterfly chrysalis’s unfortunately. :(

I’m just trying to do what I can and raise awareness.
Last year it got down to -40°F here. I lost one guinea to the snow but did not lose any poultry to the cold. The one guinea I lost was due to refusing to come down out of a tree because of snow on the ground until it died and fell out of the tree five days later. It wasn't even during the worst cold spell.

Last year it got down to -40°F here. I lost one guinea to the snow but did not lose any poultry to the cold. The one guinea I lost was due to refusing to come down out of a tree because of snow on the ground until it died and fell out of the tree five days later. It wasn't even during the worst cold spell.
I'm trying to figure out how to keep my lone cockerel from doing something similar. He was just given to me yesterday and he roamed the greenhouse all day, but showed no interest in the 2 x 4 that I put up for him to roost on, so I put him into a brooder on my back porch with a heat lamp last night. He's perched on the edge of his water bucket on the side away from the heat lamp this morning, so I'm guessing he'll probably be okay if I leave him in the greenhouse from now on, even if it is getting down into the teens at night.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep my lone cockerel from doing something similar. He was just given to me yesterday and he roamed the greenhouse all day, but showed no interest in the 2 x 4 that I put up for him to roost on, so I put him into a brooder on my back porch with a heat lamp last night. He's perched on the edge of his water bucket on the side away from the heat lamp this morning, so I'm guessing he'll probably be okay if I leave him in the greenhouse from now on, even if it is getting down into the teens at night.
I do not give supplemental heat to anything except little ones. It interferes with them acclimating themselves to cold temperatures.

The chickens do have a coop to be inside of but the adult turkeys sleep on their outside roosts in all kinds of weather and temperatures.

I do not give supplemental heat to anything except little ones. It interferes with them acclimating themselves to cold temperatures.

The chickens do have a coop to be inside of but the adult turkeys sleep on their outside roosts in all kinds of weather and temperatures.
I normally don't give any supplemental heat, but I think he's been pampered lately. I'm going to wean him off of the heat pretty quickly. I'm keeping him to the same schedule as the 4 week old quail that I kicked out yesterday. They're on my back porch for a couple more nights with heat, then without for a couple days, then out into the greenhouse in their own pen with boxes to shelter in.

I need to figure out how to give him a roost within a box or something that will hold in some of his body heat. I'm not used to having a bird that needs a roost.

I normally don't give any supplemental heat, but I think he's been pampered lately. I'm going to wean him off of the heat pretty quickly. I'm keeping him to the same schedule as the 4 week old quail that I kicked out yesterday. They're on my back porch for a couple more nights with heat, then without for a couple days, then out into the greenhouse in their own pen with boxes to shelter in.

I need to figure out how to give him a roost within a box or something that will hold in some of his body heat. I'm not used to having a bird that needs a roost.
If you have any old tree branches around you, you can put them to use.

I'll be heating dummies for a week or so.
PXL_20231030_134705722.jpg

If you have any old tree branches around you, you can put them to use.
Oh, good idea. I have a whole wood pile of them. I'll set something up when it gets light out.

There's a power outage all over town right now. I'm lucky. I had a flicker that rebooted my computer then power came back on. I'm looking across the freeway at a lot of darkness. A lot of emergency vehicles going by, though. Apparently they're getting flooded with public assistance calls.

Oh, good idea. I have a whole wood pile of them. I'll set something up when it gets light out.

There's a power outage all over town right now. I'm lucky. I had a flicker that rebooted my computer then power came back on. I'm looking across the freeway at a lot of darkness. A lot of emergency vehicles going by, though. Apparently they're getting flooded with public assistance calls.
Do you have a fireplace Bee? I don't remember.

Back
Top Bottom