🚨Wanted: Tips for Raising Hormonal Bad Boys

I have a similar problem but they all jump on this one hen. She’s super submissive and I’m afraid they will kill her. She looks dead when they get off her😵‍💫🙁

You need to get her out of the pen or the boys will kill her.
Best solution is to take all the boys out and put them in a separate pen.

What can one do to help prevent the hormonal boys from beating up the girls in the flock?

Pretend you have a new flock... all the birds are the same age.

All of a sudden a couple of the males decided to start beating up a girl or two.

How do I stop them from continuing to beat her/them up?
That's when I find them a new home - of one sort or another. BUT, it's natural chicken behavior and how they mature.

So the boys are just beating up the one girl. They seem to get along with everyone else for now.

Does the one girl stay confined or do they need to remove one of the mean boys?

There is no right way or one answer. I know.

We just need ideas on things to try to keep the peace for a little when longer.
If the pullet is kept confined, she may get beat up by the rest of the flock when she is put back with them. I would deal with the trouble makers and not mark the pullet for bottom of the pecking order.

So is dying.

In a confinement situation, then the animals need animal management, they are not wildlife (although Mother Nature is often times very mean and cruel). Pulling the cockerels out so they don't kill a pullet is good animal husbandry.
I was responding to the original post where the question was how to stop the pullets from being picked on. That is a natural behavior and I have never had a young roo hurt a young pullet. The boys try to pick a fight with the girls and the girls just won't play so the fuss is over in seconds.
There was no talk of the pullets being killed at that point in the conversation. Of course I would never leave a mean boy in the flock. They are culled if they get too aggressive with the pullets or humans.
I think you were responding to some of the later posts where people were talking about much more aggressive little roos. I have never had a young roo harm a pullet - maybe because I'm very observant of all of my chicken's behaviors. I have had chickens (and dogs, cats, cattle and horses) my whole life and I'm older than dirt! :old
I don't want anyone to assume that I don't take excellent care of my animals. I'm not fussing with you, I just wanted to clear the air.

I was responding to the original post where the question was how to stop the pullets from being picked on. That is a natural behavior and I have never had a young roo hurt a young pullet. The boys try to pick a fight with the girls and the girls just won't play so the fuss is over in seconds.
There was no talk of the pullets being killed at that point in the conversation. Of course I would never leave a mean boy in the flock. They are culled if they get too aggressive with the pullets or humans.
I think you were responding to some of the later posts where people were talking about much more aggressive little roos. I have never had a young roo harm a pullet - maybe because I'm very observant of all of my chicken's behaviors. I have had chickens (and dogs, cats, cattle and horses) my whole life and I'm older than dirt! :old
I don't want anyone to assume that I don't take excellent care of my animals. I'm not fussing with you, I just wanted to clear the air.
I misread your post. I see now, that you did say remove the cockerels. How I missed that, I don't know.

I thought you were advocating just leaving them in there to work it out because it was natural behavior.

My apologies, must have been too late at night.

Back
Top Bottom