🦆 The DUX has woken up! 🦆

Another quick update: There's an egg that is being kicked out by Darkbill Duck for the last three days. Candeling it looks promising too, with a well defined air-cell and i may fool myself but i think i saw movement. No idea why she does not like that egg, anyways it is now in the CCI as number thirteen.
I also had to lower the thermostat from 37.7° to 37.5° as the eggs started to develop their own heat and the high temperature alarm went off for the first time this morning.
When I checked my Muscovy Momma Oreo the other day she had kicked two eggs out from under her. Normally I have taken one when she has done this but I decided to leave the two in there. When I checked the nest the following day they were gone. She had to have put them back under her so I don't know if I caught her when she was just turning them or what. The others I have removed were all just fresh eggs that had nothing in them. I did not want to take them and replace them back if they were good. It is possible that she is sitting on all duds but before she would let me pet her while she was on the eggs and now she wants to take my hand off for reaching in there. If they are good they should hatch I think a day later in the week. Time will tell. They will be Hinnies which I have never had before so it should be interesting if any hatch out.

I found four incubated eggs in the duck house today of which i have no clue to which duck they belong. :confused: They were smack in the middle of the duck house, away from all four sitting ducks. It was none of Buffzillas eggs, they are all marked with a blue(ish) "X", Tweedledee and Dark Bill were even attacking the fresh straw i gave them and Milka is happily sitting in her straw-volcano fortress. She lets me massage her bill and feed her, but i shall not reach for what's under her belly…
I have added the four eggs to the content of the CCI. Another staggered hatch is coming.

I found four incubated eggs in the duck house today of which i have no clue to which duck they belong. :confused: They were smack in the middle of the duck house, away from all four sitting ducks. It was none of Buffzillas eggs, they are all marked with a blue(ish) "X", Tweedledee and Dark Bill were even attacking the fresh straw i gave them and Milka is happily sitting in her straw-volcano fortress. She lets me massage her bill and feed her, but i shall not reach for what's under her belly…
I have added the four eggs to the content of the CCI. Another staggered hatch is coming.
I took the two eggs out today that my Muscovy had thrown out of the nest yesterday. One was a quitter and the other one looked more like a fresh one. I have no idea how many she is still sitting on or if they are any good or not. After next week she will be moved off of the nest and I will candle the eggs. I will have to put on an armored suit to get to them but I will. lol

I recommend welder gloves and a welder's hood for protection:
1716304755905.png 1716304840508.png

I recommend welder gloves and a welder's hood for protection:
View attachment 3839280View attachment 3839281
She has only ever snapped at me when I tried to pet her recently. Before that she would let me pet her all day long while she was sitting but not when she was not sitting. Funny how they can be. I am not that afraid of her really. I just don't want to upset her so I have not disturbed her. I have not been able to catch her off of the nest but she is eating and bathing. I can tell by the water in the pen.

I was wearing a hat yesterday when i walked into the dux-house, a simple brown hat to protect my billiard-ball from the sun and everybody want crazy. After taking that hat off they recognized me and complained »You Quackiot! You scared the eggs out of us!«
Mine had to get used to my hats also as I need to keep the sun off of my face after having to have surgery to remove some Basal cell recently. They know me now as I have many different hats I wear. Funny how something that different makes them wonder who we are when you would think they would recognize our voices at least. Especially you with your accent, LOL.

She has only ever snapped at me when I tried to pet her recently. Before that she would let me pet her all day long while she was sitting but not when she was not sitting. Funny how they can be. I am not that afraid of her really. I just don't want to upset her so I have not disturbed her. I have not been able to catch her off of the nest but she is eating and bathing. I can tell by the water in the pen.
Muscovies might be different, but when Buffzilla, Milka or Tweedledee go outside, they loudly announce that they are outside and broody. I got call from miles away, people asking if my dux are doing okay…
DarkBill is also different, i have never seen her leaving her cardboard box ever. But she must, as she is still alive.

Last edited:
Muscovies might be different, but when Buffzilla, Milka or Tweedledee go outside, they loudly announce that they are outside and broody. I got call from miles away, people asking if my dux are doing okay…
DarkBill is also different, i have never seen her leaving her cardboard box ever. But sh must, as she is still alive.
That's how my Mallards are but she is separated from the rest of the flock and Muscovy ducks don't quack but as females make a pretty little trill. I don't hear anything out of her. The males only hiss and this is why some people like them. They are the quiet ducks of the duck world. lol

Back
Top Bottom