1.5 yr old Marans roo--lethargic, stumbling, pale, green poop

livin-green

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Clay, Alabama
Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Blue Copper Marans rooster; 1 year 4 months
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic/laying around a lot; wobbly/weak when does walk around (like he's drunk); face pale from center out--edges of comb/wattles redder with a hint of blueish at the back tip of comb; vent area clean, but passed some watery stool then some that was deep leaf green (like a lightly cooked spinach green); crop seems empty
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? going into 4th day this morning with slight improvement yesterday & today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? none currently showing any symptoms (3 FBCM hens & 2 Ameraucana hens), but did have one FBCM hen dead in the coop the morning we noticed him "down"
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. double checked--nothing
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. we had a super bad heat wave & drought--thought it was heat-related/dehydration, but shouldn't he have bounced back by now
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. not well; drank some at first and ate a little, but hasn't really since
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. see above under "behavior"
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Not sure what to treat, so he's only gotten electrolyte in water so far
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? will have to treat myself -- no poultry vets here
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. n/a
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use kept on pine shavings bedding in 6'x8' ccop with 20'x11' netted run; have not allowed free-ranging due to predators

Extra detail: Had 100+ temps for several days in a row during the last week of June; kept mid-upper 90's last week; finally down to low 90's the first of this week. Then, 4 days ago I opened the coop to find one of our 4 FBCM hens dead--no previous symptoms. Thought it was just a delayed heat/dehydration thing, so I added electrolyte to their water. Noticed rooster stumbling and wobbly when he went out in the run; then laying down & being lethargic. Put another pan of water out there & he drank some; also ate a little bit of mash that my son had made (1/4 20% grower crumbles & 3/4 22% layer pellets). We have a mini farm, so--being honest--I have not been able to just sit & watch for long periods. But, I do not think he is really eating or drinking much. Could this be causing the green poop? Or could it be Cocci? Or worms?

Also, when checking for any possible injury, I didn't notice mites, but since I wasn't looking for them, I will check more thoroughly.

Last point, we try to do all-natural remedies, which I would like to continue with, but I realize that we may need to medicate this time (do have Sulmet on hand). I have also never used synthetic wormer on them ~ if I need to worm, what works best?

Back
Top Bottom