10 days to remove all chickens and roosters in small town INDIANA!!!!

May just be me, but I didn't notice any posts bordering on inappropriate. Last I heard, opinions were considered part of free speech.
smile.png

"BYCer's UNITE" IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!
You guys are terrific as usual. Augustmom, I'll email you shortly. To reply to some of you, The Big Blue Notice was on blue card stock and had a section of the ord printed on it. I quoted it in the original post. The ordinances are online and I have looked them up. And indeed it says "It shall be unlawful for any person to keep domesticated farm animal other than four dogs or four cats within the corporate city limits." I am in town and live in an old neighborhood. The ord. was passed in 78 or 79, I think. They also followed it up with a letter in the mail. Two men signed it and one signed, after his name, 'animal control' and the other signed 'compliance officer'. Again, its legal in Indianapolis Marion County. I am in Marion county but live in Beech Grove. I'll have to check the State Laws.
I seem to remember reading somewhere (probably on here) that a farm animal constitutes one had for livelihood or profit. Mine are enjoyment. And I read on another thread about someone who had a Dr.s note saying they were therapeutic for her. I'm totally not beyond going there, if I have to. Because they are for me as well.
Now, I may have a few too many. I have 9 birds in a large coop with a pen. But the pen might as well not even be there because they do roam the yard. 2 of them are roos that another BYCer hatched for me from our own eggs. I love my boys but I suppose I should cut my flock size down.
But I'm glad I posted. We were going to deal with it on our own but that would have been just silly. What a community.
thumbsup.gif
Any other help/suggestion greatly appreciated. We were going to call them today but now I have decided to amass more information before I do.

The reason I left California and the reason I left Arizona was the same.....Too many people wanting to try to force you to comply with their rules, regardless of your rights! They think that their rights are more important than yours. Unfortunately they usually have the money to bend the laws into their liking. There will always be some one who takes offense to something. Thank God I now live in Texas!!! I have more freedoms and rights here than any other state in the union. GOD BLESS TEXAS!
Good luck with the fight, Hang in there! God bless!
P.s. this is not to inflame or anger any one, this is just my experience in life.

As a native Texan who visits back there a couple of times a year, I have to say that I think Arizona is less restrictive, at least as far as state laws are concerned.

Anyways there is no universal definition of farm animal or livestock as far as ordinances are concerned. Many laws/ordinances specifically define terms for clarity; if they do, then those definitions apply; if they do not, then a common dictionary definition would apply. "At large" normally means wander about off the owner's property, and if they are on your property, fenced, cooped or neither they are not at large; however some codes require that they be penned or cooped or define "at large" differently.

Is there anything in the code about pets? The way the sentence is phrased is very odd--it implies that cats and dogs are domesticated farm animals.

Find out when the next city council meeting is happening and go to it. Call the city clerk and have her/him put you on the agenda.
Or just go to the meeting.
By law there has to be an "Open Hearing for the Public" section. Start with the Council, then you may be able to get an extension on the deadline, if the council is willing to hear you out.
Be as tactful and calm as possible-if you get too emotional or snappy, they may sour on your situation.

If you state your case as matter-of-fact as possible and respectfully ask for an extension, they may refer you to the Ordinance Committee to have the ordinance reviewed. If you know any of the Council members more personally, you may want to approach them if you think they may be sympathetic to your cause.

When you go there, be prepared to answer alot of questions. Maybe bring pictures of your coop set-up. You might want to get some support from any neighbors who are aware and okay with you having chickens. Or if they cannot come, have them sign a petition that states such.

I used to work at a small city hall. Sometimes the council will surprise you (in a good way). Sometimes they're sticklers for following city codes. Period.

Good luck-I hope you are able to keep your chickies.

Back
Top Bottom