12 eggs one week, zero eggs one week later. Whatup?

alaskachick

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Wasilla, Alaska
Well we have 14 laying hens. They have been laying exactly for one year. A couple of them stopped only to begin again after a cycle of going broody. We had to change the design of the nests because one of the new pullets from the hens that went broody was pooping in the boxes at nite and then the other chickens would jump inside the box and lay in the poop and make a mess of themselves and of their eggs. So we changed the boxes to a different style where there is now a side entrance in the nest instead of just jumping into the box from the top. We have had no eggs since then. That was about a week ago. First it was 4 eggs, then only 2 eggs, now today there are zero. We are wondering if anyone has ever had a drop in eggs production due to nest design or nest placement changes and if so will they eventually adapt to the new change or do we need to cave and go back to the original nests they are accustomed to? There diet has not changed, they are not moulting and they are getting plently of light so I rule out all those reasons. Thankyou

Hmmm, that's an interesting situation. I know that some hens will stop laying for a week or two when they are moved to a new location. I'm pretty sure mother nature will win out and they'll start laying again once they're over the change. By any chance do they free range for a couple of hours per day or more? They might be protesting and hiding their eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom