13/14 Week Old RIR Turning Red, Growing Wattles!

giannini

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2015
Reno, Nevada
I've got two RIR pullets(hoping) in my flock. I know I will find out soon which gender they are if I am just patient. But it's so FUN GUESSING! I just took some pictures today. One of them has it's head parts turning red. Both of them have shiny neck feathers. None of my 8 chickens has taken a major dominant roll yet. They seem to switch off. I have two BR that look almost identical. One is turning real read...the other has been pink/beige forever. I would appreciate any feedback. THANKS!

Side view of Wilma.

Wilma from the back. Her comb is still beige, and she has no wattles.

This is Lucille. Her comb has turned red, and she is growing her wattles.

Lucille's back side.

Wilma's tail feathers(on roost), and Lucille on ground.

This is Betty the BR. Her comb is BRIGHT red, and her wattles have grown about 1/4 inch.

Nice looking flock!

I'm no expert, but they all look like pullets to me. Roosters generally start to show a bright comb from just 3 weeks up to 10 weeks. Nearing laying time hens combs will brighten up, and some RIRs can start laying at just 16 weeks of age.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
smile.png

WHOOPEE! Thanks for your replies Junebuggena, and GitaBooks! I'm so happy for the positive news. In these pictures the Girls are in their tractor for the day. I have been waiting to put the nesting boxes in their coop since my husband made them a couple of months ago. While they were in their tractor, I put the boxes in the coop. When they got back to the coop they were all afraid to go in there. LOL. My longhorn Foggy was the bravest one. She went in and looked around. I've read some other posts that I could have a 3 week wait before any eggs appear so I won't hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom