17 days old is sick (looks drunk)

CSKA

Chirping
Feb 12, 2024
Dear all, I have hatched 22 Bress + Cornish (Heritage, not the cross) 17 days ago.

I noticed today one of the Cornish is sick. It's just like someone who is really drunk, falls around, can't walk straight. Looks literally drunk.

The remaining 21 are all fine, active and smart.

Does someone knows about this illness? Is it contagious to the others? Is it recoverable?

Thank you

Dear all, I have hatched 22 Bress + Cornish (Heritage, not the cross) 17 days ago.

I noticed today one of the Cornish is sick. It's just like someone who is really drunk, falls around, can't walk straight. Looks literally drunk.

The remaining 21 are all fine, active and smart.

Does someone knows about this illness? Is it contagious to the others? Is it recoverable?

Thank you
I'll see if I can get some help.

@SmiYa0126? @Eggcessive? Thanks

Good luck with your chick, @CSKA!

Check your feed for any moisture and mold or bad odor. Is there anything in the yard plant or otherwise that she could eat and get sick? Is anyone else acting off? Can you get her drinking some electrolytes or water with sugar 1 tsp per cup? Offer some mushy wet chicken feed as well. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? If would separate her with food and water, since the others might attack her for acting unwell. Or watch for that.

Check your feed for any moisture and mold or bad odor. Is there anything in the yard plant or otherwise that she could eat and get sick? Is anyone else acting off? Can you get her drinking some electrolytes or water with sugar 1 tsp per cup? Offer some mushy wet chicken feed as well. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? If would separate her with food and water, since the others might attack her for acting unwell. Or watch for that.

Hello, thank you for your answer. I have used fruits, collard and lettuce leafs, fava beans, cooked scrambled eggs, I put all in a blender mixed with comercial feed, as food for them.

So far, symptoms still remain (only for 1 out 22), but she is eating, and drinking and fighting to get to the food, but the "drunk" walk still remains after 24 hours. I think its a bit less notable now, but can't be sure.

Is that blended food all used in one day? The commercial chicken feed is all they need, and I would try feeding some with water to moisten a little at a time. Scrambled egg is something to tempt one to eat. The extra greens and lettuce can be spread about the ranging area. They usually won’t eat something if it has gone bad. Make sure that she is drinking since dehydration can look similar.

Back
Top Bottom