19 to 1

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
Our flock went from 19 eggs/day to 1-3 eggs. Not blaming the food (we were using 16% protein, switched to 21%ish from local feed store). Cleaned out coop real good (deep method not for us, for now anyway - may go back to it when I get better at chickening in the years to come). Figuring what should we try next. They don't seem to be moulting unless I do not know the appearance of feathers falling out.

We're in a conundrum. They were laying so prolifically thankfully we are not out of eggs (ATM); more curious than anything. Our two GP's are dealing very well with them; so that's not the issue. They are free ranging all over the place, seem happy with that. :idunno

Last edited:
When ever I have a sudden drop in egg production like that it is ALWAYS A HIDDEN nest. Sit out there with a book, and listen for the egg song. Sometimes they are hidden quite cleverly, sometimes hidden in what is practically plain sight.

Mrs K

Change of bedding, new puppy, free ranging.
Lock 'em up!
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

The most common cause for chickens to stop laying is the molt. If you are south of the equator I'd suspect the molt. North of the equator, not likely. Instead of looking at the individual chickens look for feathers flying around. If you are seeing a bunch of feathers it's probably a molt.

Probably the second most common reason you think they aren't laying is hidden nests. Since yours free range this is a strong possibility.

Many things like to eat eggs. Many of them leave traces behind, egg shells or wet spots. The common critters in North America that take eggs without leaving a sign are snakes, canines, and humans. I'm not sure what critters you might have where you are.

Snakes tend to eat some eggs and then stay away for a few days to digest them. How many depends on the snake's size. I had a 5 feet rat snake take 4 at a time and come back 2 to 3 days later. As many eggs as you are missing and as steady as it is I don't think it is a snake or snakes.

Many wild canines like a fox or coyote would probably be more interested in your chickens than the eggs so it is probably not them. A dog however can eat eggs and not bother the chickens. Are your GP's enjoying a tasty snack? That's a lot of eggs even for two big dogs.

A human doesn't always mean a thief, some people have been known to think something like this is a good practical joke. But that's a lot of eggs and too steady either for a thief or practical joker. To me, everything points to hidden nests.

So what can you do? If you think something is getting them you can mark a few (discretely if you think it is a human) and leave them down there to see if they disappear. If you can, leave them locked in a run or the coop for a couple of days and see if the number of eggs go up. If the numbers go up either they have hidden nests or you locked out something taking the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom