1st broody hen

chickadee mamma

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
So, this is a first for us. We have 4 chickens. No rooster. Only one hen old enough to lay. She usually lays one egg every day for 3 days then takes a day off. She hasn't left her nesting box for days except an occasional drink/food. We had to argue with her for 2 or 3 of her eggs and now no eggs for the past 3 days! I'm assuming she's broody, but don't know for sure. Want to make sure she isn't sick. Would a broody hen stop laying eggs? Any signs to watch fire is she's actually not well?

Ok, thanks! Seems like she's being normal then. From my research on broody hens it could take weeks for her to break?

I never have "broke". One, I just usually stick some eggs under there and let her sit, but I have quite a few birds, and fertile eggs too.

I have a buff orpington who is going broody on me. She is just barely 5 months old and started laying about 2-3 weeks ago. Everything I've read says they shouldn't get broody until they are about a year old. I have 11 pullets and 1 rooster (all same age). I'm getting about 3-5 eggs per day, so not all have started laying yet. This morning I got one egg about 8 am, then noted Blondie setting at about 10 am (her normal egg laying time). At 6 pm she was still setting and my husband pushed her off to pick up the 3 eggs she was setting on - got a nasty peck from Blondie which drew blood. Isn't she just way too young for this?

I have a buff orpington who is going broody on me. She is just barely 5 months old and started laying about 2-3 weeks ago. Everything I've read says they shouldn't get broody until they are about a year old. I have 11 pullets and 1 rooster (all same age). I'm getting about 3-5 eggs per day, so not all have started laying yet. This morning I got one egg about 8 am, then noted Blondie setting at about 10 am (her normal egg laying time). At 6 pm she was still setting and my husband pushed her off to pick up the 3 eggs she was setting on - got a nasty peck from Blondie which drew blood. Isn't she just way too young for this?
Apparently not.
wink.png

I've heard of them going broody young. She is mature enough to lay eggs, she is mature enough to mate, then she is mature enough to brood...the whole point of the eggs actually. Five months is young, but not in the chicken world of things. She just might not make a good mom being so young...or a great one. The really great broodies simply have it in their blood.

Wait to see if she is serious, then if you can, put some eggs under her and see if she'll hatch them. It's a great experience.

My 2 cents,
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
I never have "broke". One, I just usually stick some eggs under there and let her sit, but I have quite a few birds, and fertile eggs too.
Agreed...if they are determined it is hard to break them. I've not been willing to hang them in a cooling cage or dowse them in ice water to cool their body temp down and shut off the hormones.

I always found it better to put some eggs under them and let them hatch it. It is a great experience and once you figure out you are free, free, free from brooder lamps and care you'll see what a God send having a good broody hen is.

Lady of McCamley

Yes that sounds exactly like a broodie hen.

Age has made no difference here. We have a silkie that has only just turned a year old and I think if my memory she has already gone broody about six times, and once was in the middle of winter.

We have no rooster and no space for extras so breaking by giving eggs isn't an option.
These are also family pets and when I told my ten year old the normal means of breaking with cages and ice and all that she looked at me like I was insane. Crossed her arms and gave me a look that left no doubt in my mind we wouldn't be doing that lol.

In the end it actually didn't need to be that hard any way. I've found all it takes is an inability for the hen to get to the nest day or night for 3 days. Some do that with cages but we have a lockable nest box to keep her off at night and a little run within the run for the day. By day 3 all of mine have always gotten over it.

Last edited:
At this point, I don't want or need any more chickens. My coop is full. I plan to continue shoeing her off the eggs and hope she gets over her broodiness. Nice to know she will be a good mom-to-be when/if the time is right. Seems I'm going through a whole gamut of odd chicken behavior, and will just work through it. My little 5 year old niece stopped by today and went into the chicken yard before I knew she was here, only to be rushed by the rooster - last time she was here they were fuzzy and cuddly. I took her back in and showed her how I sweep that ol' rooster aside with my trusty broom. Hopefully she isn't traumatized. And one fat hen insists of getting out of the yard daily to lay her egg in my flower garden, then gets herself back in to the yard. Trying to teach my dog to herd her back to the gate, we'll see how that goes.

I have a question! My hen has been broody for weeks. I kept kicking her off the nest but no luck. I then researched and put her in a wire cage for three days. It worked!!! She has joined the flock and is no longer sitting in that nesting box. It has been 4 days and Still no eggs though. How long after breaking them before eggs again??

Back
Top Bottom