2 Broodies

TexasLisa

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Rosenberg, TX
I have a young EE setting on 5 eggs. She is halfway through (10 days left). I now have another EE that is broody. I really don't need anymore chicks. Can I take 2 eggs from the first broody and put under the 2nd one?

OR

Is it possible to have 2 broodies in the same cage?

I have a young EE setting on 5 eggs. She is halfway through (10 days left). I now have another EE that is broody. I really don't need anymore chicks. Can I take 2 eggs from the first broody and put under the 2nd one?

OR

Is it possible to have 2 broodies in the same cage?
Or a third option: BREAK THE SECOND BROODY!!!
Put her in an elevated all wire dog crate with a board in it and food and water and leave her there for a minimum of three days and nights.
broody breaker.jpg

Thank you for replying. If I get another broody :fl, I will try that. I broke down and put the 2nd hen in the cage with the first broody. They are at opposite ends of the cage and are happy.

The first broody (Maisie) is due around May 12. The 2nd broody (Midge) will be due around May 23. What could possible go wrong????? :pop

The first broody (Maisie) is due around May 12. The 2nd broody (Midge) will be due around May 23. What could possible go wrong????? :pop
The second broody may break broodiness when the first broody's chicks hatch, they may decide to fight and inadvertently break eggs, they may steal one another's eggs inadvertently cracking them. Sometimes co brooding works, other times it is a disaster. In my experience it has always resulted in lower % hatch rates and survivals.

Thank you for the warning. I had thought of putting a divider between the two before hatching day. I am working on another cage to put Momma and chicks in when hatching day approaches.

Back
Top Bottom