2 of 4 chicks gasping Help!

PnppleUpsdDwnChk

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
West Virginia
I have 4 chicks, Sebright, unknown Bantam, Sapphire Sky, and Gl Wyandotte all about 3 weeks old. The Sapphire Sky began gasping at about 1 1/2 weeks and stopped (so we thought), she gasps lightly about 3 times,then stops and starts again then stops for most of the day but will start up again later. I looked some stuff up on it and thought since it wasn't happening all the time she was overindulging or a respiratory problem. She also pecks at the air/nothing frequently but we think it's her personality. We've been monitoring and now the and unknown bantam has done the same thing. They don't gasp all day but throughout the day, and it starts up again. Could this be a coincidence? Theyll be 4 weeks in about 5 days. All are very active and playful chicks they eat and drink as they should and are curious.

I have a secured heatlamp and monitor the temp with a thermometer, they have a large dog cage and the cool side is around 75°, they have tsc pine woodchips for bedding! I also let them roam the room they are in frequently which is about 70°

What is the warmer side temperature? They should have about 80 degrees in the warmest spot, and a cooler side less than 75. Decrease by 5 degrees each week. How far away is the heat lamp? Being too warm can cause gasping. Is there any pasty butt problems? Respiratory problems may cause bubbles in one eye, gasping, sneezing, or nasal drainage.

Back
Top Bottom