2 week old French Wheaten Marans

Kar333

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Scotland
New to the forum and although we've had chickens for years, we are very new to growing our own, but amazed at successfully incubating and hatching 4 out of 6 of the French Wheaten Maran eggs we got.

Now very confused as to whether they are boys or girls.....constantly looking for darker wing colour and all the other signs. Have my suspicions that one is a boy.

Top photo of Big Yellow Fluff and Merry

Big Yellow Fluff having a rest in photo 2

Photo 3 and 4 of Pea, who has a wry neck - would appreciate any thoughts as there are so many differing opinions out there!

Photo 5 is Pip.

Last photo of Pip, Big Yellow Fluff and Merry from above.

What do you all think?!

At this age, don't go by the wing colors look at the comb. The male sex colors won't come in until later. EDITED TO ADD: although the Wheaten color is different in the males and females, so you will see a difference as they feather in...Males getting black and females staying fawn colored. But that will take a bit more time.

I've personally experienced, and a number of Marans owners confirm, the roo's get combs fast and early. I could tell my roo by 2 weeks as his comb was already noticeably bigger than his 2 sisters.

I would say you've got one feller there...the one on the left first photo, and the 2nd photo chick.

The other one in the top photo is a girl. Can't see the comb on the 3rd...but you've got the roo to compare them to.

The best way to sex is to hatch the chicks from the same parents and then watch the siblings.

I'd lay money the top feller is a boy...looks like my roo did compared to his 2 sisters at 2 weeks.

You'll know in another couple of weeks...that comb will continue to take off and get red....and the Wheaten males will get blacker. I'll post a photo below of my trio of French BCM's when they were 4 weeks so you can see by comb development. It's pretty obvious who the roo is...he is now 8 weeks and just starting to crow.

Some Marans owners report occasionally having a late maturing roo, but you should know by 6 weeks...however, most report it is easy to see the roo early on.

Enjoy your Marans. Good luck on getting the dark eggs :D

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
...and

welcome-byc.gif

Lady of McCamley

That's really interesting, thanks very much. Was focusing on wing colour rather than the comb. Yes, that one has a larger comb than all of the others, will keep an eye out now I know what I'm looking for.
We are so enjoying their little characters already. Still a long way to go with sorting out the boys and then trying to integrate them with our existing 3 hens but looking forward to the challenge!

So, they are 3 and a half weeks old now - we are thinking boy on the left and 2 girls?? That was the original guess.

The one with the wry neck did not make it, so we have these 3 lovelies left. They think I'm mum and love to sit on me and have a cuddle!

Far left is definitely a male. The other two have more comb and pink than I would prefer...but they are still pale...and I have not raised that particular line...and each line matures differently...and the best way to tell gender is to compare siblings.

So, all that to say there is hope that the other 2 are girls. Keep watching them and comparing them to the obvious roo. Hopefully those combs will remain smaller and paler...but I must admit it is worrisome and they indeed may turn out to be male...but there is hope!

Sorry to hear your other one was lost.

Lady of McCamley

Thanks very much. I've been having doubts myself.....preparing for the worst and enjoying them while we can!

Far left is definitely a male. The other two have more comb and pink than I would prefer...but they are still pale...and I have not raised that particular line...and each line matures differently...and the best way to tell gender is to compare siblings.

So, all that to say there is hope that the other 2 are girls. Keep watching them and comparing them to the obvious roo. Hopefully those combs will remain smaller and paler...but I must admit it is worrisome and they indeed may turn out to be male...but there is hope!

Sorry to hear your other one was lost.

Lady of McCamley

Agreed. That far left one is male all the way, and I am suspicious of the others. Keep them a few more weeks, but those combs and the dark feathers coming in don't look good...

At least you may be able to sell them for breeding since they are rare purebred birds.

Agreed. That far left one is male all the way, and I am suspicious of the others. Keep them a few more weeks, but those combs and the dark feathers coming in don't look good...

At least you may be able to sell them for breeding since they are rare purebred birds.

x2....I just sold my Black Copper Marans rooster at 8 weeks of age to 2 women (neighbors) who are "fighting" over who gets to keep him first for their developing Marans flocks...normally you can't GIVE away a rooster...but with breeds that are highly desirable and more rare...you can often actually find a buyer.

Holding out hope that you may have 2 pullets...but if not...sell them and buy some more eggs/chicks for another try for pullets.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom