2 wk old duckling

Jessduck

Chirping
Apr 8, 2020
Wisconsin
New duckling mom who’s nervous!
I got ducklings from tractor supply, 3 are 2 weeks old and 3 are one week. My one yellow duck has been my problem child from the start. It’s never really liked us but the past few days it’s been sneezing then we noticed last night she was panting. She seems like she’s breathing heavily and does not stay standing very long. we put them all in the bath today she’s got plenty of water deep enough to clean out her nares. She’s eating her manna pro duckling starter grower and drinking normal. We’ve given her garlic in water also been mixing in probiotics in their water. The thermometer reads that it is 75 degrees in their brooder. there’s no vet around here for me to call so I need some ideas.

Attachments

• B43A14C2-C4C8-451B-A718-A8FCD53DCCED.jpeg
    B43A14C2-C4C8-451B-A718-A8FCD53DCCED.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2B4DEE2C-6B7D-4051-892F-F08105115D45.jpeg
    2B4DEE2C-6B7D-4051-892F-F08105115D45.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 451B530A-84BB-4848-AACA-7C5DE580B9CA.jpeg
    451B530A-84BB-4848-AACA-7C5DE580B9CA.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 6
Can your duckling get out from under your heat lamp? It’s important they have a nice warm spot on one end and a cool spot on the other. Your brooder looks small. Hard to tell.
Yes she can get out from under the lamp and is usually sleeping on the opposite side. I attached a picture so you can see

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 5
How many total In that bin? I’m not nit picking but your Pekin is probably too warm. It’s a Pekin thing for sure we see it a lot panting and over hot. I’d get them a bigger brooder to start with. If you need help on setting one up many on the duck forum use a kiddy pool @DuckyDonna has some pictures of her set up.

How many total In that bin? I’m not nit picking but your Pekin is probably too warm. It’s a Pekin thing for sure we see it a lot panting and over hot. I’d get them a bigger brooder to start with. If you need help on setting one up many on the duck forum use a kiddy pool @DuckyDonna has some pictures of her set up.
Yeah I’ve been worried about that. We will be getting a bigger brooder tomorrow. Unfortunately everything is closing early around here bc of quarantine. I have 3 little ducklings and 3 bigger. It’s only our yellow one panting which makes some sense bc she’s the only yellow duckling. Maybe when I get her a bigger home she’ll warm up to me and let me pet her.

also I’ve noticed it’s wings are pretty naked. Idk if that’s related to the issue. Poor thing is just having a rough time
38AF7435-3307-461D-8E17-645E6268C334.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom