20 eggs in incubation of 20 days

jtotherow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Fort Mill SC
I have 5 already hatched, three more starting to crack, but one is still struggling to free itself. I thought it would have been my second one. Now I am concerned. It's peeps are still strong but I am worried. Do I let nature take it's coarse?

I have 5 already hatched, three more starting to crack, but one is still struggling to free itself. I thought it would have been my second one. Now I am concerned. It's peeps are still strong but I am worried. Do I let nature take it's coarse?

I would let nature take it's course. I know that it's tempting to help, but it has been my experience that they usually don't survive if they can't get out on their own. Good luck.

Thanks Every time I have tried to incubate the eggs, it always stresses me out! I think next time I will just buy my chicks. This is my 2nd try!

Thanks Every time I have tried to incubate the eggs, it always stresses me out! I think next time I will just buy my chicks. This is my 2nd try!

WOAH!! Wait a minute now. Like anything else hatching eggs takes practice. Don't give up. I have stressed myself out worrying about eggs in the incubator, so I know where you're coming from. But nothing beats the pride you feel when you have a successful hatch. You can't buy that feeling. Don't be worried about losing one here and there. I have broody hens and they aren't able to hatch every egg that they sit. I would fill my incubator again as soon as this hatch is over. No one has 100% success. Stay positive and Good Luck.

It is stressful! I had a broody hen and it still stressed me out, but the results are so worth it!!! Do not give up, each time you do it, you will learn something new! I lost a few as well, it is very sad, but that is just nature. From what I read it is not a good idea to try and help them out of the egg, not too soon anyhow. There is alot going on inside that egg while it is hatching. Good luck with them! I would love to see some pics, I just love babies!

WOAH!! Wait a minute now. Like anything else hatching eggs takes practice. Don't give up. I have stressed myself out worrying about eggs in the incubator, so I know where you're coming from. But nothing beats the pride you feel when you have a successful hatch. You can't buy that feeling. Don't be worried about losing one here and there. I have broody hens and they aren't able to hatch every egg that they sit. I would fill my incubator again as soon as this hatch is over. No one has 100% success. Stay positive and Good Luck.
Nice post. I had one out of a dozen hatch the last batch. I'm at 14 days with the 2nd batch. I am starting to collect eggs for the next hatch. I keep learning things each time I try to hatch eggs. You are right, nobody (even the hatcheries) have 100% success. A friend of mine works for a large industrial poultry plant here. They are happy to get above 80% with their hatches. I figure if I get above 50% I will be happy.

My chick died! I took the shell off afterward and it was not attached to membranes She was a black sexlink. So far I have 2 roos and 1 female, 3 buffs that I won't know until they get older. LOL. Well none of others have hatched so I will give them a few more days.

I don't have a lot of room,but I will not give up. As soon as my husband gets my outside brooding area finished I will try again. But I will still have to order some female chicks. See I sell my eggs to the Market here and it funds my chickens projects. I love my chickens!
Thanks for the encouragement! I heard that you should put a towel over the rack of the incubator. That it would help them hatch easier. Has anyone heard this?

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of room,but I will not give up. As soon as my husband gets my outside brooding area finished I will try again. But I will still have to order some female chicks. See I sell my eggs to the Market here and it funds my chickens projects. I love my chickens!
Thanks for the encouragement! I heard that you should put a towel over the rack of the incubator. That it would help them hatch easier. Has anyone heard this?

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are not giving up. I am going to try the towel thing next time around because I have had a couple of eggs that almost hatched but died in the shell and when I went to remove them they were stuck to the hardware cloth. I heard the same thing about the towel.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom