20% vs 16% protein

rubyrogue

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
What are the benefits to a higher protien?.... A lower protein? I was at the feed store and the layer crumbles are 20% the layer pellets are 16% my hens like crumbles better........
idunno.gif

I have read on BYC that the higher protein will increase the egg production,

But, it will shorten the life of the chickens.

I'm sure that someone will expand on this, as I'm not an expert.

more protein is good for young birds as it gives them building blocks for feathers/muscles/organs/etc. When the hens mature a slightly lower protein level is the norm, usually 16-18%. I will probably use 18-20% protein for my girls. Egg white (albumin) is the purest protein on the planet so it (protein) needs to be included during egg production. Pets/showbirds/cockerals need less once they mature, 15-16% is the norm.

Last edited:
At 20% protein there are no downsides except cost. The only reason to feed less protein is because it's the most expensive part of feed so most feeds are formulated to have the least amount of protein required. To get the maximum before health problems occur you can go quite a bit higher. It all depends if you want the most cost effective eggs or to give your birds a little more. Alot of show birds are fed higher protein to grow better quality feathers and have shinier birds. I feed 22% gamebird feed to all of mine most of the year. All ages can eat it so it makes it simple. You just have to make sure you provide oyster shell for the laying hens. When I didn't have chicks last fall and until I hatched some this spring I did use layer.

Ok what 20% protien will do for your layers. Make moulting shorter which is a good thing. Maybe eat a bit less because they are getting more which is a good thing. Lay more for longer good thing. Put more meat on body which can be good or bad depending on breed. I have fed my chickens 20% from day one on chick starter then to layer which is also 20%.

Now where it really makes a differenace is body type. Heavier weighted chickens do better with 20%. Your lighter layers will not need it as much since they do not put on the meat. So if your chickens are to top out in weight for 6lbs and down the 16% is fine. 7lbs and over I would go with the higher 20%. Dual purpose breeds will do alot better with the 20%.

I raise MOSTLY dual purpose breeds, and I use Purina Flock Raiser from day one. It's working great for us and the price difference (vs 16% Layena) is $1-2, so not bad.

For one thing everybody can eat it, which is much better since I free range chicks from about 8 weeks in the same yard as the adults. I offer oyster shell in a separate dish near the feeder at all times, regardless of which feed I'm using (even with Layer feed)
For another thing, the adult birds just seem to LIKE it better. I got them crumbled Layena (to save a $ while the chicks are all penned in brooder pens) and they STILL prefer the crumbled Flock Raiser. I didn't think chickens had much taste buds, but apparently they find the Flock Raiser more appealing. They free range, so eat lots of bugs, worms, SNAKES....you'd think they wouldn't really *need* the higher protein feed, but they seem to want to eat it more than the other stuff.
hu.gif

If it's working, why change? I guess I"m gonna keep buying Flock Raiser
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom