2010 HomeMade Chicken Incubator Contest - Win $20 Gift Cert. Ends 9/12

Quote:
totally awsome in line with what i was dreaming up. love the air chamber and sanwiched pink that is what i had in mind only with 1 1/2". how often dose your fans and lights cycle?? Ive been checking out bators for a week . all were interesting, but yours has inspired me to sharpen my pencil and get started thanks.{best bator ive seen so far}

This is the incubator I made

56825_102_2280.jpg

I am still learning my way around on the site, I'm building an incubator and want to enter it in the contest can someone tell me when the deadline is I haven't seen anything on it as yet.

I have been taking pictures of the whole process I started with an old fridge and built an automatic egg turner to fit the bottom part that should hold at least 400 eggs (I have a tendency to think big) the heat lamps are in the top with fans that move air to the bottom where the thermostat is, I should have eggs in it by the end of the weekend if all tests turn out well, and I will post pictures on the page if I can figure out how to make the page that is :) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

I would love to win the gift certificate. I'll get back as soon as I finish my incubator. When will this contest exactly end?

I hope I can get mine in on time!!!!! I'm going to start working on it on Wednesday. It's going to be my 4-H Project!!!!!!!

I finished my first incubator on Monday, like others, I got carried away with finishing it without taking pics. I also wanted to finish before my husband got home, so he wouldn't kill me for using our (albeit broke down) wine refrigerator. I think it is pretty awesome and so far have had pretty good luck holding the temp. however,,, if it gets too warm in the house, I have to really watch it, and right at dusk it wants to drop to 98, We live in a real rural area and there wasn't any thermostats I could find that would be low enough, or (we felt) stay within the optimum range, so therefore, I put a $3.00 dimmer switch on a 25 watt candle light bulb, I put lots of water bottles on top (on the wine racks) and bottom, added an additional wool blanket for insulation, and so far I have been using my snow scan thermometer/hygrometer, (which I triple checked to be accurate) and the temp stays between 99 and 100, occasionally creeping into 101 during the day, but I think I can watch that.

Any ideas out there for a thermostat that will truly stay within this range without fluxing too much? I have been eyeballing the GQF Model 3256 (about $75.00) (my husband is squaking like an old laying hen!!!!)

Also I am going to put eggs in that have been "added" to my two sitting hens nests. I am sure? they will abandon once most of their hatch is done. One BA now has about 13 or 14 eggs (6 was the original number I gave her) and the other one started about a week later, and who knows what she has! I am GUESSING that I can take those unhatched eggs once the hens quit setting to mother their chicks, and hatch them out, even they they will probably be spaced days apart?????? I just can't bare to let them die without a fighting chance... Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks so much...
smile.png

PS. I think I may have anywhere from Monday to Thursday to get this thing dialed in before I start adding eggs......

So this in my entry page for the contest:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=48473

I had started to just edit this post but decided to make a new one with all the thumbs instead of the larger pictures, I am learning how to use the site a bit more
celebrate.gif

Oh! And it was sucessful I might add (patting myself on the back)
thumbsup.gif
LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom