2014 breeding season begins, post your results

My pied chick is failing to thrive. It's bottom has been swollen from day one. I thought it was just from the yolk absorbing, but it hasn't gone down. It's like a pot belly but in it's hind end. And it doesn't want to stand, eat or drink. I don't know what to do! :(

So sorry... It's probably a yolk sac infection. There is a very slim chance of saving it if you give it Baytril. One or two tiny drops orally of 10% Baytril from the end of a 22 gauge needle is what I do.

I'm gonna guess that it's not pooping.

-Kathy

So sorry... It's probably a yolk sac infection. There is a very slim chance of saving it if you give it Baytril. One or two tiny drops orally of 10% Baytril from the end of a 22 gauge needle is what I do.

I'm gonna guess that it's not pooping.

-Kathy

X2 sounds like yolk sac infection.
For the pooping issue, anybody ever try using a warm washcloth and rubbing around it's bum? It works on puppies and kittens, but I assume it's because it mimics the mom licking them and will stimulate a bowel movement, so it may have no affect on a chick.
hu.gif

Thanks guys. It did poop, but since it's not consuming anything, it hasn't lately. I was thinking infection too. But it hatched out of the egg that way.

Thanks guys. It did poop, but since it's not consuming anything, it hasn't lately. I was thinking infection too. But it hatched out of the egg that way.

They should poop before they start eating, but the swelling from the infection or whatever is, can put enough pressure on the intestine that they can't poop. Yolk sac infections can also start before they hatch.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom