2014 breeding season begins, post your results

Quote: What's interesting about it is that i was in the left side of my bator and so far nothing from that spot has hatched...

-Kathy
Late quitters are so frustrating, especially when you have only a small number of eggs to work with that you are hoping to hatch. Having so many different variables as to the cause of them quitting doesn't help the situation either
he.gif
But maybe that egg got too warm where it was in the incubator?

Years ago when I first started incubating eggs I got into the habit of rotating my eggs around to different areas in the incubator, or if I was using an automatic egg turner I'd either give the entire egg turner or the entire incubator lid (with the heat source and fan attached to it) a 1/4 turn... in hopes of each egg getting a more even amount of warmth while they developed. I'd do this at least weekly, if not more frequently. Even in incubators with a fan there can be warmer and cooler areas. I still do this even in my Dickey cabinet incubator... old habits die hard I guess, lol.

Maybe give that a try next time you put a batch of eggs in that incubator?
idunno.gif
It's kind of hard to keep track of where each egg is during the incubation unless you make a chart and rotate the chart too every time you rotate the eggs, but it's do-able.

Quote: What's interesting about it is that i was in the left side of my bator and so far nothing from that spot has hatched...

-Kathy
Late quitters are so frustrating, especially when you have only a small number of eggs to work with that you are hoping to hatch. Having so many different variables as to the cause of them quitting doesn't help the situation either
he.gif
But maybe that egg got too warm where it was in the incubator?

Years ago when I first started incubating eggs I got into the habit of rotating my eggs around to different areas in the incubator, or if I was using an automatic egg turner I'd either give the entire egg turner or the entire incubator lid (with the heat source and fan attached to it) a 1/4 turn... in hopes of each egg getting a more even amount of warmth while they developed. I'd do this at least weekly, if not more frequently. Even in incubators with a fan there can be warmer and cooler areas. I still do this even in my Dickey cabinet incubator... old habits die hard I guess, lol.

Maybe give that a try next time you put a batch of eggs in that incubator?
idunno.gif
It's kind of hard to keep track of where each egg is during the incubation unless you make a chart and rotate the chart too every time you rotate the eggs, but it's do-able.
I need to do some more test hatches with muscovy eggs, and if it happens two or three more times, I'll try rotating them, but I fear I am not disciplined enough to do that, lol. FWIW, I eggtopsied it and it looks like the cause of death was from a vein breaking? Have any of you ever seen that before? There was a huge blood clot right by it's beak.

-Kathy

I need to do some more test hatches with muscovy eggs, and if it happens two or three more times, I'll try rotating them, but I fear I am not disciplined enough to do that, lol. FWIW, I eggtopsied it and it looks like the cause of death was from a vein breaking? Have any of you ever seen that before? There was a huge blood clot right by it's beak.

-Kathy

Once or twice I've had a chick hatch and in the shell behind it there was a blood clot, apparently it wasn't a severe enough bleed to kill it though. I assumed it happened when they were trying to get in position or while pipping.
hu.gif

Quote: X2, but I've never had one bleed out and die before hatching.
I'm still suspicious of an extra warm spot in your 'bator
idunno.gif

I'm not in denial about the bator, lol, just hadn't ever seen one with that much blood before. Have another that died late and I'm just about to open it up and see what the problem might have been. It's one from my two year old/yearling pen, so I will cry if it's a white!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom