2021 Breed Suggestions

I suggeat the brabanter. I have a 5 year old that still lays a good size bright white egg 5 -6 times a week. She is a sweet girl that is very people friendly. Also great with my toddler grandkids.i dont have a rooster so i dont know thier temperament.
This is a beautiful breed that is very hard to find. I think deal poultry still sells them, but you are waitlisted.
Best wishes finding the best breed for you.
Second, they're a broody breed though based on their breed profile

Seramas are nice. They're really small, but I can't imagine they eat a lot of food. They also seem kinda like a novelty bird, and can come normal, frizzled or silkied

Thanks! I almost bought a dozen chicks a few months ago but didn’t and now I regret it. If I can come across some good quality brabanters, then they’re definitely a possibility.

Definitely a breed I’ve considered simply due to the history of the breed. My problem now is getting good stock. I’ve never seen Iowa blues anywhere close to where I live so I’d have to have them shipped in and I really prefer to stay away from hatchery stock. How big are yours? Thanks!!
Were the dozen brabanter eggs local or online? I looked for eggs or chicks for a while because i had 2 hens left, comet-6 and brabanter -5 , so i knew i had to get more flock or i would end up with a lone hen soon. I.ended up with a dozen common breeds.

Were the dozen brabanter eggs local or online? I looked for eggs or chicks for a while because i had 2 hens left, comet-6 and brabanter -5 , so i knew i had to get more flock or i would end up with a lone hen soon. I.ended up with a dozen common breeds.
They were online. I was looking at leige fighters in a rare breed Facebook page and saw the post about brabanter chicks. I inquired about them and almost bought them but I had my mind set on buying the liege chicks. I had seen the liege right before and decided just to use the money to buy a few extra liege rather than the brabanters...that way I only have to worry about one shipment rather than two.

No experience with them yet, but OEGB.
They're at the top of my list of breeds I need.

I have only heard good things about them. I LOVE everything about them.
If I didn't already have a full house (stuffed a load of Orps into my coops) I would definitely be looking for some OEGB.

I also like Sussex. Fairly normal, well-known breed - you've probably had some yourself, but I've had a great experience with them.

No experience with them yet, but OEGB.
They're at the top of my list of breeds I need.

I have only heard good things about them. I LOVE everything about them.
If I didn't already have a full house (stuffed a load of Orps into my coops) I would definitely be looking for some OEGB.

I also like Sussex. Fairly normal, well-known breed - you've probably had some yourself, but I've had a great experience with them.
YESSS!! I’ve always wanted to get either porcelain or spangled OEGB’s. And I understand about the Orps. I have jubilee, BBS, chocolate cuckoo, grey cuckoo, and black Orpingtons running all over the place. I used to have a pair of coronation Sussex that I thought were great. HUGE too.

Sadly we don't get interesting types here. I have plain old Buff. Four generations.
I haven't seen grey cuckoo. But that would be pretty cool.

My current Sussex (Light) went broody at 5 months. Hatched her first chicks at 6 months. Then tried to go broody again a couple of months after she raised those chicks. She's four years old now, and has been laying consistently.

You should get some OEGB. Then send me tons of photos. I would be so jealous.

Back
Top Bottom