2021 Tomato harvest

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Hello gardeners and tomato lovers!

I'm starting this thread to document my 2021 tomato harvest, as well as my opinions on the varieties I've grown. Anyone with any thoughts, questions, insights, or general comments, please chime in. :)

My first 4 quarts of tomatoes are in the canner as I type. I prefer to do 7 quarts at a time, since that's what my big canner holds, but since the 'maters are just starting to ripen, I only have enough for 4.

Here are the varieties I grew this year, with some comments on each.

Amish Paste, indeterminate, heirloom.
My standby. These plants are from my own saved seed from last year. I started 19 plants (10 for a friend, 9 for me) and all 19 germinated and grew. I saved seed from my biggest (and earliest) AP from 2020, and most of the fruits I see on the plants are big. I'm saving the seed from the biggest one this season, and it is huge.

Early Girl Bush, determinate, hybrid, new to me.
I needed some more plants, and this is one of three kinds that I purchased as starts. I MUCH prefer heirloom, as I want to save seed. But I could be talked into doing this one again. The plants are loaded, they're a fairly short season tomato, and the fruits are generous size. The latter is important to me for canning. We'll see how they do; I'll probably be canning them either later this week, or early next week.

Better Boy, hybrid, new to me.
Another purchased plant. I bought 3, and a deer stepped on one when it was little. These are still all green.

Golden Jubilee, determinate, heirloom, new to me.
My other purchased plant. These are just starting to ripen.

The rest are my starts from saved seed, or in one case, seed from a friend.

Cherokee Purple, seed from a friend, heirloom, new to me.
Well, either the seed isn't actually CP, or something funky happened. They are supposed to be BIG. And purple. I got 7 out of 9 for germination, which is plenty good. The fruits are small, like a large cherry tomato, but with a little bit of a core. Tasty, but not what I was planning on. But two of the plants do have a large tomato that looks nothing like the others. Very curious... We'll see what the big ones look like when they're ripe, which will be in a week or so. I've been eating the little ones for 2-3 weeks already.

Backa, determinate, heirloom, new to me (I'd never heard of it)
This one looks promising. I chose it for resistance to blight, as that can be a problem for me. So far, the fruits are growing large, and are just starting to ripen. 3 of 9 germinated.

Ace 55, determinate, heirloom
Ace 55 was a hybrid at one time, but I guess after many years, it has sort of standardized itself and is considered stable enough to sell it as open pollinated (OP). This is the first time I've grown it, but I think my parents did many years ago. The fruits are big and just starting to ripen now. 3 of 9 germinated.

Manitoba, determinate, heirloom, new to me
I chose this one for two reasons: resistance to blight, and a short season (65-70 days). Most of the others listed, except Early Girl, are 80-90 days. This looks like it's doing well; probably a week more to ripen enough to can. 2 of 9 germinated

Sohpie's Choice. determinate, heirloom, new to me
Another short season tomato. There are a decent number of good sized fruits on the vines, but the vines are all but dead, so this must not have any resistance to late blight or whatever is in my soil. I don't know if the fruits will ripen, but I won't be growing it again. 3 of 9 germinated.

Since some seeds didn't do diddly for a germination rate (all the purchased seeds, btw!), I'm going to base my start number on this next year, if I grow any of those varieties again. In for sure: Amish Paste. Very probable: Backa and Ace 55. Probable: Manitoba. Nuh-uh, gonna skip it: Cherokee Purple and Sophie's Choice.

We've been trying out many toms last year and this year.

Repeats this year:

1. Compari: plants from the feed store. Nice smaller size toms, not cherry size. Good overall flavor, resists cracking.

2. Oleana Ukranian: potato leafed, large toms. Little seed goop, Nice for slicing and for sandwiches.

3. Coustalee: Nice flavor, but has that heirloom type odd shape, with cat-facing type markings on the bottom (not blossom end rot). resists cracking - I don't think any of this variety has cracked.

New to Us, Will plant again:

1.Glacier: Developed by U of North Dakota (or similar cold place), it was quick to grow and produce small tomatoes (some more like a large cherry, some small slicers. great flavor.

2. Red Defender: Plant from farm market near me. They said its their favorite tomato. Must be determinate and nearly all are at same stage and will ripen within a week of each other - many many medium sized toms on plant, no cracking.

3. San Marzano: Sauce type, elongated, high production.

4. Ruby Crush Grape tom: grape shaped toms, huge production, nice flavor and texture.

5. Nicky Crain: Oxheart shaped toms that are medium to large in size. Great flavor. Nice for slicing.

Ones we are not likely to plant again:

1. CandyLand currant tom: tiny, visually attractive, nice flavor, but skin too tough/thick.

2. Vorlon: Regular slicer, but every one has split and rotted or NOT split and rotted. So, they all rotted in one manner or another. only middle productivity.

3. Sandpoint tomato: very short, only about 12-18" tall! But, very productive for such a small plant. small tomatoes (larger than cherry toms), good flavor, but looks to be determinate, so production and size limited.

We planted some others, but still undecided on those.

If you like early girl, try Cloudy Day. They're prolific too and come in fast but are indeterminants.

They are flavorful.

It's been an off year for San Marz here, and I'm not impressed with their cousin SanMarz Marriage, which has been a battle with BER all season.

I will plant more of the meat tomatoes next year and not play with the experimentals.

Overall my tomatoes did better last year than this year. I didn't have quite enough of my own compost to spread around, and I think the composition of the mushroom compost I use changed. I also didn't start seeds as early, and therefore put plants in the ground a bit young. I have root knot nematodes, so I am on the lookout for new varieties with resistance, or I may try grafting in the future.

New girl: a heart shaped early type. The plant has few leaves and the tomatoes have good flavor, better than early girl, I'd say.

Granadero: indeterminate, very productive roma type. Seeds are expensive but the nematode resistance and quantity of tomatoes (I counted over 100 tomatoes at 4oz each on one plant last year) makes it worth it.

Sungold: sweet orange cherry tomato that is a bit prone to cracking. Hybrid, but seeds are usually true.

Blush: sweet low acid grape tomato. Excellent if I actually get vine ripe fruit, but the stems and leaves are thin and the fruit is prone to falling off prematurely. I planted two plants this year in case the one I planted last year was weak, but it seems the variety is like this. If anyone has a better suggestion for a low acid grape/cherry I'm all ears. Until then I'll keep planting with low expectations.

Mortgage lifter: this is the heirloom I plant every year simply for the nematode resistance. My largest tomato, up to 1.5 lb, but none so big this year.

Emerald evergreen: this is probably my favorite tomato overall. 8-12 oz green heirloom. Turns a bit yellow when ripe so you'll know when to pick.

Better boy: I didn't plant this year, but most years I do. Good reliable beefsteak tomato with nematode resistance, up to a pound. Grows well everywhere, not as picky about soil as my heirlooms. I regret not planting one because I'm out of heirlooms at the moment.

White tomesol: this was a free packet from Baker. It's ok in a sandwich but is overall somewhat bland, won't plant again.

Unknown roma type: This was a skinny tomato, probably determinate, that I got at a swap. Prone to BER and small fruit. Will stick to Granadero in the future.

Momotaro: grew last year and it survived the winter, so I figured it was set for this year, but it abruptly died when the soil warmed up. Has a very rich flavor and I'll grow it again.

Mortgage lifter: this is the heirloom I plant every year simply for the nematode resistance. My largest tomato, up to 1.5 lb, but none so big this year.
@vall, I've seen this advertised so many times in the seed catalogs I get. Is it as good as they say? I'd like to try more big, beefsteak types of tomatoes.

@vall, I've seen this advertised so many times in the seed catalogs I get. Is it as good as they say? I'd like to try more big, beefsteak types of tomatoes.
The seed catalogs talk everything up, but yes, it is a very good tomato and I think I'd grow it even if it didn't have the N resistance. If you're looking for 1 pound tomatoes definitely try it.

WOW!! Y'all do a lot more variety than I do!

I only have a small garden so there's that.

I have Early Girl plants that routinely out perform everything else. This year they are nearly 9' tall now. It makes it hard to cage them!

My better boys (this year just 2 of those) put on larger fruit but are more susceptible to issues like blight and splitting. One is doing well and one has turned south. It is stunted and the leaves are turning brown.

I put a roma and a new variety Oregon Spring or something like that. I am not fond of either. The Oregon is a definite NO going forward. The fruits are tiny, not round at all and it is far later than the early girl. It is supposed to be nearly the same timing and it is NOT a cherry tomato variety.

I can nearly all my tomatoes so the Early girl is my go to plant.

Last edited:
I only have a small garden, but tomatoes are some of my favorites to grow. Last year was my first year growing, and I grew Early Girls and Red Brandywines. The Early Girl tomatoes that I grew didn't do as well as the Brandywines because the Brandywines ended up toppling over the tomato cages and doubling the Early Girls in height by the end of the year. I ended up saving seeds from the Brandywines so I could regrow them next year.

This year I expanded the amount of tomatoes that I grew. With the Brandywines from last year, I am also growing Cherokee Purples. For cherry tomatoes, I am growing Super Sweet 100, Sunrise Bumble Bee, and Indigo Cherry Drops.

So far only the Super Sweet 100s have fully ripened, but the rest of the cherries are on their way along with several Cherokee Purples. The Brandywines appear to be starting to change.

Back
Top Bottom