3 month old chickens keep killing eachother in 10 by 18 coop with 5 gallon food dish and 2 gallon water what is the cause

Pics

Savdye

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
I have 7 chickens in a 10x18 coop well ventilated we are currently working on chicken run but I’m not sure I’ll have chickens for it by the time it’s done, every other day I go out I’m down a chicken 2 we’re attacked one died from heat stroke and today another one was pecked to death I’m not sure why they are doing this there is absolutely no signs of bullying during the day it happens over night they have fresh food and water and smacks during the day I cook off there coop during the day I have places for them to get and climb on I have no idea why they are killing eachother I’ve had them all since they were chicks they got along find up until 2 weeks ago

How old are your chickens? How many male, how many female?

Do you know if the ones that were attacked and are fighting are male or female?

Are there things in the coop they can run behind and hide to get away from each other? Make sure there's no dead ends where they can be cornered. Need clutter to break up line of sight to reduce fighting. Are there multiple food and water locations? need at least two feed, two water, ideally out of sight of each other.

How old are your chickens? How many male, how many female?

Do you know if the ones that were attacked and are fighting are male or female?

Are there things in the coop they can run behind and hide to get away from each other? Make sure there's no dead ends where they can be cornered. Need clutter to break up line of sight to reduce fighting. Are there multiple food and water locations? need at least two feed, two water, ideally out of sight of each other.
All female 3 months old I have a bunch of stuff in there for them to hide behind but I can add more, there is also places to jump and get away. Only have one of each feeder but I will add more. But all females are fighting but it’s never during the day, everyone is fine and gets alone fine during the day but at night they just pick one and peck her to death

All female 3 months old I have a bunch of stuff in there for them to hide behind but I can add more, there is also places to jump and get away. Only have one of each feeder but I will add more. But all females are fighting but it’s never during the day, everyone is fine and gets alone fine during the day but at night they just pick one and peck her to death
Are you sure you don’t have a predator? I find it very strange they live together happily during the day and kill each other at night? It doesn’t make sense

Are you sure you don’t have a predator? I find it very strange they live together happily during the day and kill each other at night? It doesn’t make sense
Their coop is very secure and I live in the middle of the city in Las Vegas the only predator I could think of around here would maybe be a cat? Or rats? I do have dogs but the dogs are locked in the house over night when it happens

Their coop is very secure and I live in the middle of the city in Las Vegas the only predator I could think of around here would maybe be a cat? Or rats? I do have dogs but the dogs are locked in the house over night when it happens
Chickens see in much the same way we do. However, chickens do not have night vision. They can't see in the dark. But chickens can sense whether it is light or dark through the pineal gland. Definitely a predator. I would double check your coup, be extra vigilant and maybe put a camera outside.

Chickens see in much the same way we do. However, chickens do not have night vision. They can't see in the dark. But chickens can sense whether it is light or dark through the pineal gland. Definitely a predator. I would double check your coup, be extra vigilant and maybe put a camera outside.
Thank you so much for your advice I
Possibly a raccoon. They are sneaky and have thumbs so they can open latches.
i don’t think Vegas has raccoons but I did have a cat in the neighborhood did kill my rabbit last year

I have 7 chickens in a 10x18 coop well ventilated we are currently working on chicken run but I’m not sure I’ll have chickens for it by the time it’s done, every other day I go out I’m down a chicken 2 we’re attacked one died from heat stroke and today another one was pecked to death I’m not sure why they are doing this there is absolutely no signs of bullying during the day it happens over night they have fresh food and water and smacks during the day I cook off there coop during the day I have places for them to get and climb on I have no idea why they are killing eachother I’ve had them all since they were chicks they got along find up until 2 weeks ago
bully behaviour i notice in past mine remove all the feathers from his brother neck
what i found that space is very small where i keep them i shift them separately into 2 good big space cages .
this issue also happen when there’s low vitamin A in body so boosting vitamins can be helpful

Back
Top Bottom